18.Bad Dream

I was being embraced tightly by someone who was crying, yet I couldn't determine the identity of the person. I could only perceive the sound of their weeping, unable to visualize anything. The surroundings were engulfed in darkness, and my attempts to open my eyes were futile. The individual pleaded with me to return, but I was at a loss as to how to comply. The continuous imploring came from a desperate male voice, incessantly calling my name and urging me not to depart.

The resonance of the voice felt familiar, evoking a peculiar yet pleasant sensation within me. It was then that I recognized it as Anord's voice.

Suddenly, in the next moment, I managed to pry my eyes open, revealing the concerned countenance of the individual gazing at me. Cres handed me a glass of water, and Swez assisted me in taking a sip.

"Was it a disturbing dream?" Charles interjected, breaking the prevailing silence.

"But how did it occur? Have you encountered any perilous situations? Ukraine, did they subject you to something?" Swez inquired, directing accusatory glances at Cres.

"Hey, it was just a nightmare, and it's not as if I've never experienced such a thing before. Besides, let's not overlook the multitude of events that have transpired and left me shaken," I attempted to convey with as much normalcy as I could muster.

"That's the issue, Ukrine. Conquering your fear might prove elusive, allowing it to haunt you. You could become so adrift that..." Before she could continue, I interrupted her.

"Wait. You experience nightmares but never discussed them with us. Why didn't you share them? You know we confide in each other." I shook my head, a hurt expression on my face.

Swez appeared to want to speak but sighed instead, avoiding my gaze. Then, Charles's rumbling stomach diverted our attention. Cres invited both Charles and Swez to join her for breakfast, but Swez declined the offer.

I suggested she go ahead, but she expressed her desire to stay with me. So, Cres accompanied Charles, reminding Swez to make sure I took my medicine.

Ugh... the medicine had messed up my taste buds, and I sorely missed my ice cream.

Swez picked up the medicine from the side table and assisted me in taking it. I was certain that she was withholding something from me, something she didn't feel comfortable sharing.

Perhaps Charles had some insight; I resolved to ask him about whatever was troubling my best friend.

Throughout, Swez remained quiet, excusing herself eventually to use the restroom. It was then that I noticed some men outside my room, seemingly standing guard.

Who could be behind this?

Anord. It had to be him since he was the leader here, and I had observed everyone following his directives. But where was he? He hadn't come to see me or address the hole in the wall.

What was that about?

How could he do that?

And his hand... was his hand okay? It might have been injured like mine. Amid these thoughts, Tate's cheerful face appeared before me, grounding me in the present.

"Lost in thought about someone, huh... the ache of missing them... it's truly frustrating," he playfully commented while placing bags on the side table.

Before I could respond, the restroom door swung open, emitting a noise that drew our attention. Swez halted mid-motion, locking eyes with Tate, who reciprocated the gaze.

Their exchange seemed like they were reconnecting, as if they'd met before and were clarifying uncertainties. Most importantly, shock was palpable in their expressions.

As I was taking in their reactions, my hand inadvertently brushed the side table, causing a spoon to clatter to the ground, interrupting them.

"Tate, I'm hungry, and stop staring at my best friend like that. I'll inform Lexie about this. First, give me my breakfast. And Swez, this is Tate."

"Hi," they both chimed simultaneously, and Swez approached the bed.

Tate grinned at me and served our breakfast. I finished mine, and Swez did too around the same time. Swez appeared uneasy, and when I offered for her to leave, she declined with a shake of her head.

I sighed, shifting my gaze to Tate, who seemed lost in contemplation, fixated on the wall ahead.

And what had happened to my best friend? She seemed different – I'd always known her to be strong, impervious to disturbance. Yet, something was unsettling her, something I was unaware of.

Then, Swez's phone began to ring, but she merely disregarded it. It rang again, prompting me to encourage her to answer it, but she simply made perplexing expressions.

"You can give us some space. I'll take care of her," Swez stated, pressing the power button on her mobile to turn it off, seemingly disregarding me.

"Thank you, but I'd like to stay here," Tate replied, offering a smile in my direction.

"Swezla is correct. We appreciate your help, but it's no longer necessary. We're heading back to town," my father's voice emanated from the doorway as he entered the room.

"Absolutely, Uncle. We should depart and take her to the city hospital. I'll call Charles right away," Swez quickly turned on her mobile, aligning with my father's words.

I regarded Swez suspiciously, as she rarely aligned with my father's opinions, given his tendency to prioritize work above all else.

"But you had agreed to stay until she recovered," Tate voiced his discontent.

"Yes, but it won't be prudent. We don't want to impose on you folks. The rules here are distinct, and the location is quite remote from town. It could take a while to get help if something were to happen," my dad explained, retrieving his mobile from his jacket pocket.

"Dad, we should always adhere to the rules no matter where we are. And leaving abruptly doesn't seem wise," I tried to offer a reasoned argument.

"Ukrine, try to comprehend. This place is rife with danger. It's situated on the outskirts, prone to wildlife attacks. I'm not willing to jeopardize your life... our lives," Swez implored me through her eyes.

"I don't think that's a valid reasoning, as wherever we go, challenges will arise. Dad, you told me to stand up for myself, yet now you're changing your stance. Provide me with a solid justification, and then I'll consider leaving," I asserted firmly.

"Ukrine..." Swez began, but my father's voice cut her off with a shout.

"That's enough, both of you. When I say we're leaving, we are. No more arguments," his tone made me flinch, a pang of hurt coursing through me.

Tears threatened to spill, yet I held them back. I wouldn't leave until I uncovered the reason behind my connection to this place and unveiled his secrets.

Anord, just wait. I'll find you.