22.Peterion Pack

Silence enveloped the room as I stepped into his study. His uncle opened the door and left me alone to face Anord.

Uncomfortable in the quiet ambiance, I allowed my gaze to wander around the study, pausing at the center of the room. Similar to Anord's demeanor, his study exuded an aura of darkness and coldness, far from inviting.

The study was eerie enough to make it seem like a place of impending doom. A line of towering cupboards adorned the right wall, their shelves lined with books, giving the impression of a miniature library.

His desk was cluttered with paperwork, indicating that he was engrossed in work. An ornate photo frame on the desk caught my attention. I wheeled the chair toward it and picked up the frame.

Crafted from high-quality wood, it showcased an image of a regal couple adorned with majestic crowns. They stood side by side, with two adorable infants nestled at their side. A young boy, resembling a mini Anord, wore a bright smile, while a baby girl appeared familiar, though I couldn't place her.

His footsteps echoed in the room, causing me to lift my gaze. I returned the frame to its original position as he came into view.

Anord stood a short distance away from me, his eyes fixed on me as though I were a delectable dish. A sudden shift in his demeanor occurred; his eyes dimmed, and an air of sadness enveloped him.

What was causing this emotional swing?

One moment, he exuded happiness, and in the next, a wave of melancholy washed over him. His mood fluctuations seemed more intense than any I'd experienced during my period.

"That's my parents – the late King and Queen of the werewolves, the Alpha and Luna of the Peterion pack," Anord's voice trailed off as his gaze remained fixed on the frame atop the table. I understood he was referring to the couple depicted in the photograph – his parents.

"They were exceptional leaders and loving parents, but... I lost them. They were taken from me, right before my eyes, by our enemies, and I was powerless to prevent it," he spoke with an undercurrent of emotional pain, forcefully striking the table and creating a sizable indentation.

"Anord, it wasn't your fault. It was their destiny. I, too, lost my mother, but we've learned to carry on without them. We must release ourselves from the shackles of painful memories and embrace the present," I offered supportively, clasping his clenched fists in my hands and soothingly stroking them as he gradually released his grip.

"I can't simply let it go, Ukrine. Those memories haunt me every night. The echoes of my mother's cries and the pained voice of my father keep resounding in my ears," he said, averting his gaze from me. My heart ached for him.

I struggled to fathom how young Anord had endured such agony, but the wheels of destiny couldn't be halted. No matter how excruciating it was, life had to continue.

"Revenge. I thirst for it, and I shall make them taste the suffering they inflicted upon me," he declared, his voice dripping with venomous hatred. I understood that I couldn't deter him.

For an instant, I considered intervening, but if I intervened now and the same fate befell us later...

"Everyone abandoned me, Ukrine. Everyone. Only my pack members and my uncle James stand by me. And now, my mate..." His words trailed off as he gazed at me.

"I apologize for my previous behavior. I should have confided in you earlier, but something held me back. I struggle to articulate my feelings and emotions, so if I've hurt you, I apologize sincerely," he expressed with genuine remorse, leaving me momentarily speechless.

"I waited a long time for you, and I must confess, I was initially disappointed to discover you, a human, as my mate. However, I've come to realize my error and dismiss such thoughts. I-I'm tangled in my own mess, Ukrine. Yo-you wouldn't wish to be caught in the same turmoil," he began, only for me to interject, "I do wish to."

Anord – the moment I encountered him in the hospital, I felt an inexplicable attraction to him. Whether it was a result of the mate bond or not, I desired to know more about him.

He regarded me intensely, his gaze causing my heart to flutter. I struggled to breathe in his proximity, and as he leaned in closer, his fingers brushed my hair back, lingering near my ear before tracing a path to my lips and then my eyes.

My heart raced, anticipating his kiss, but his lips pressed against my forehead instead.

Disappointment welled up within me.

Yet, there was an odd happiness in that moment. It was the moment I acknowledged that I was indeed falling for the man with a wolf's spirit.

When I reopened my eyes to gaze at him, his lips curved into a smirk. I rolled my eyes, frustrated at how he switched back to his usual demeanor. His amusement only grew when he observed my reactions, and I averted my gaze.

Unfortunately, our sweet interlude was cut short by Tate – for the second time he had barged in on us.

"Cough. My apologies for interrupting, Luna. Alpha needs to meet with Alpha Jordan. You two can continue later," he said, flashing a smirk my way. I blushed and shifted my gaze down to my lap, while Anord's tone was less than pleased as he ordered, "Go."

I wheeled myself to the dining room to satiate my hunger, and Swez was already engrossed in her breakfast, joined by Cres. A silent greeting passed between us as I took a seat.

The tantalizing aroma of pancakes wafted in from the kitchen, and once Lucy brought them to the table, I eagerly tucked in.

"Ukrine, we need to visit the hospital tomorrow. It's time for your checkup," Swez informed me, and I nodded in acknowledgment.

The day passed in conversations with Swez about various matters, delving into girl talk. After dinner, we retired to our rooms for the night.

The following morning, Dan chauffeured Swez and me to the hospital. After the checkup, I cautiously stood on my own feet. Doctor Diana advised me not to exert too much pressure and to be cautious.

Later, Dan drove us back to Anord's house and left to attend to his work. I gestured for Swez to enter the house first, and then I entered slowly. Last night, I had contemplated sharing Anord's truth with Swez, but I wanted to seek Anord's opinion on whether I should reveal this to my friends. The whole supernatural tale might overwhelm them.

"Ukrine, take this," Tate called out as he descended the stairs. He handed me a piece of paper. The living room was empty, and it seemed Tate had just come downstairs.

Curiously, I looked at the paper he gave me, which read:

 "At 7:00, I'll be waiting for you outside. We're going on a date."

Wolf man.

I chuckled at the word "date" and eagerly anticipated it. The rest of the day passed with me having lunch alongside Dan's and Tate's mates, while Swez had left for the city. Around 5 pm, I started preparing for the date.

I chose to wear the dress Cres and I had purchased during our shopping trip. After taking a refreshing shower, I adorned the lovely dress. As I styled my hair, something abruptly entered through the window in a blur. Before I could react, a sharp pain pierced my neck, and I gradually closed my eyes.

In the next moment, I found myself in someone's arms, their embrace securing me.