14.I know him well

The tranquil breeze washed over me, casting a soothing spell as I continued my stride. The sun held court in the sky, its rays painting a canvas of clear blue overhead—a perfect backdrop for a morning stroll.

A faint rustle reached my ears as I contemplated turning left, and a swift glance revealed his approach from the periphery of my vision.

Choosing to forego a greeting, I simply nodded in acknowledgment, thereby birthing an awkward silence between us. Together, we walked in tandem, words suspended in the air as we reveled in the serene embrace of our surroundings.

A cascade of questions swirled within, a tempest of curiosity and uncertainty, yet for now, I elected to lay them aside. The prior night's events had stirred an insomniac storm within me, leaving me restless and uneasy.

The weight of that unease intensified with the nightmare that haunted my sleep—a cruel addition to an already restless night. Seeking solace and serenity, I had ventured out for this morning sojourn, only to find myself tethered to more turmoil.

When thoughts of Anord surfaced, guilt crept into my conscience, a haunting reminder of my choice of words. "Monster" was an unjust label, a verdict spoken in haste. Though he surely had his reasons, his aggressive reaction remained uncalled for.

What if Daniel's fate had been far graver due to his intervention? 

He lacks the authority to arbitrarily take someone's life based on personal dislike. Such power isn't his, nor is it anyone else's, even if he holds the mantle of supreme authority.

The turmoil within me threatens to crescendo, as if my mind were a pressure cooker about to release its contents uncontrollably.

"Ask him. He will give you his reason," the enigmatic man from the previous day interjected, breaking the silence that had enveloped Anord and me.

"How can you be so certain? And who... are you?" I ventured, attempting to maintain a tone of curiosity rather than rudeness.

"I'm his uncle, Jack, well-acquainted with him," he replied, cloaked in secrecy.

"But he might refuse to answer me," I responded, my mind a whirlwind of scenarios where Anord's response could potentially harm me, akin to his actions against Daniel.

"In that case, refrain from asking. But keep in mind, every action has a motive," he advised enigmatically before walking away.

Initially perplexed, I dismissed his cryptic words, deciding not to dwell on their meaning. Instead, I ventured into the forest, pondering his advice as I sought to unravel the enigma that was Anord.

Anord. His impact on me has been so profound that it hinders my capacity for coherent thought. Why must you be such an intricate puzzle to decipher? Your true essence eludes me, shrouded in complexity.

Is it the facade you present or the glimpses of genuine emotion that define you?

 As I wandered, these questions occupied my mind, and my quest for understanding continued unabated.

Anord! Your complexity veils the path to uncovering your genuine self, making the journey to comprehend you a challenging one.

Which version of you is the true one, the one you present or the emotions I've glimpsed? 

After pondering this for a while, I made my way back to the house and entered the kitchen.

As usual, Cres was enjoying her breakfast, but today, both Dan and Tate had flushed faces.

It amused me to see them blushing so intensely, resembling ripe tomatoes. Their expressions held a different kind of radiance, a happiness that was evident in their smiles.

Suddenly, I found myself enveloped in a hug, or rather, a group hug.

Ugh, the embrace was so tight that it left me gasping for air. I struggled for breath until they finally released me, and I caught sight of two cheerful girls smiling at me.

Their eyes met, and in unison, they cheerfully greeted, "Nice to meet you."

I simply stared, momentarily speechless. Just as they were about to launch into a conversation, Dan and Tate intervened, introducing them as their sweethearts who had filled their lives with happiness during their absence.

Fiona was Dan's sweetheart, and Lexie was Tate's. The two girls exuded such vibrant cheerfulness that I realized I didn't need to seek entertainment elsewhere.

These were the boisterous best friends, eager to welcome me into their circle. I wasn't quite sure how I'd fit in, but it seemed promisingly enjoyable.

Cres had her own tasks to attend to, leaving me in the company of these two lively girls. In no time, we bonded and shared laughter as they regaled me with their playful childhood memories.

Amid our laughter and enjoyment, I couldn't help but notice two individuals who appeared somewhat left out. Feeling a pang of sympathy for them, I decided to excuse myself and take a moment to rest.

Retreating to my room, I stood by the window, taking in the view before me. A strange feeling washed over me, as if someone's gaze was fixed upon me. Yet, despite my scrutiny, I couldn't identify the source.

As time passed, I took a refreshing shower, a small indulgence after the restless night. Drying off and changing into fresh clothes, I finally tended to my tired body.

Upon descending the stairs, I encountered an empty space, prompting me to proceed to the living room to engage in television viewing.

After a while, Anord made an entrance, yet I purposely avoided acknowledging his presence. Uncertain of what to say, the prospect of engaging with him was overwhelming, compelling me to maintain my focus on the movie.

Peripherally, I observed him observing me, though no words were exchanged, and he soon exited the room.

My own ennui drove me to venture outside, where I found Anord reprimanding some young boys. He delivered a lecture, piquing my desire to converse with him, but his evident preoccupation led me to aimlessly wander instead.

As I continued my meandering, I eventually arrived at an unfamiliar location, losing track of the correct path. The forest's labyrinthine nature left me feeling disoriented and lost. I attempted to discern signs of human presence to no avail.

My quest to find my way wore me out, and amidst my search, I detected indistinct noises that made my head spin.

In the next moment, I was falling, and my head collided with a solid surface. While harboring a wish for rescue, darkness swiftly enveloped me, leaving me with a sense of futility.