13.Monster

Anord's POV:

I couldn't resist when I caught sight of Ukrine; the effects of the mate bond were undeniable. She looked absolutely stunning at the party, the gown she wore accentuating her appearance perfectly.

I genuinely appreciated her gift, impressed by her excellent choice. I wondered how she managed to discern my preferences, but she proved to be a thoughtful and considerate individual.

Seeing my pack members rejoice at my birthday celebration brought a sense of happiness, particularly since I hadn't celebrated since my parents' tragic demise. The party itself marked the occasion when I had lost them.

Yet, amidst the festivities, vivid memories of that traumatic day resurfaced—the lifeless bodies, the blood-strewn floor, and the scattered remains hauntingly etched in my mind. The nightmarish images continued to haunt me, disrupting my sleep.

Initially, I was taken aback and somewhat annoyed by the party's arrangement, but my feelings shifted upon learning that Ukrine had organized it. A mind link from Dan clarified the situation, and I began searching for her amidst the crowd.

Our eyes met, and an unusual radiance illuminated her features. Lost in her own world, she seemed to exude a distinct aura. Similarly, I found myself captivated by her presence, losing focus on everything else around me.

Whenever she was near, the world seemed to fade away, and all my attention centered on her. I recognized that the impact of the mate bond extended to her as well, influencing both of us. Her presence seemed to evoke a different side of me, a departure from the typically stern and unyielding werewolf king.

Guests from neighboring packs, along with several of our own pack members, were in attendance, creating a lively atmosphere. Numerous well-wishers greeted me, marking the commencement of the celebration.

It was later revealed to me that Ukrine had felt my absence and disappointment when I wasn't present. Tate informed me that she had been yearning for my company, a piece of news that buoyed my wolf's spirits.

As I conversed with another Alpha, my attention shifted to Ukrine, who was engaged in a conversation with a stranger. Recognizing that he wasn't a pack member, my senses heightened.

I swiftly contacted Cresel through our mental link, urging her to keep an eye on them. However, before she could intervene, they moved to the dance floor. I felt a surge of anger as the man placed his hand on Ukrine's waist and they began to dance.

Unable to contain my emotions any longer, I sprinted toward them, pulling Ukrine away from the man's grasp. My wolf surged forward, taking control as I clamped my hand around the guy's neck.

He began to choke, a result of his actions that had crossed the line. How dare he dance with the Queen under the gaze of the werewolf king?

Ukrine's words, "MONSTER," reverberated in my ears, triggering a flood of distressing memories. My grip on the man tightened as anger consumed me.

Efforts were made to pry me away, yet I remained unyielding. Then, a commanding voice resonated, halting my actions. The speaker was no stranger; he was the one who had supported me during my times of solitude, encouraging me to lead for the sake of all werewolves.

He's Uncle Jack, my father's beta, and the sole family I have left. His guidance has shaped much of who I am today, and I can't disregard the wisdom he imparts.

To avoid escalating my anger, I deliberately avoided looking at Ukrine, focusing instead on accompanying Uncle Jack to my office. His disappointment was palpable; he fixed a steady gaze upon me.

After an uncomfortable silence that lasted three minutes, I finally greeted him. He acknowledged my greeting with a nod and motioned for me to take a seat.

"Have I not taught you better? Are you a child that I must instruct on proper behavior? Anord, you are the king; your demeanor should reflect that. Learn to harness your emotions and conduct yourself accordingly," he reprimanded with a firm expression.

"I realize I should have exercised more self-control, but you're aware of the power of the mate bond. It renders you vulnerable, and witnessing your mate with someone else is difficult to bear," I explained my actions, though I understood he might not fully sympathize.

"I'm well-acquainted with its impact, and I offer this advice for your benefit. Remember, your mate is unaware of our existence. Compose yourself."

"You're right. How could I forget the counsel of a blood relative? The term 'mate' constantly brings her to mind. I have no idea about her whereabouts or how she's faring. Perhaps she's leading a content life without me—an abomination who instills fear," I bared my soul to him, my emotions too strong to suppress.

Breaking down in front of him felt natural; he had witnessed me at my lowest points.

"In her own world, she finds happiness, and you should find solace as well. Congratulations on discovering your mate. She radiates beauty akin to your mother's, our Luna. She will comprehend you, just as your mother did. Patience is key; allow time to unravel your story. Happy birthday, my king," he responded with his signature sagacity. He always met my vulnerability head-on, having suffered losses himself, including my mother.

I had lost yet another significant figure—one who couldn't accept my true self and left me behind with the memories me once shared. 

"Please don't offer me false hope, Uncle. Just like the other, she too might abandon me. She shares the same perception of me—a monster. If that moment arrives and she rejects me, I fear it might unhinge me."

"Adopt a positive outlook, my son. She's your mate, destined to stand by your side. Now, rest; it's late. We can continue this conversation tomorrow. By the way, the issue within the pack has been resolved. That's why I came. If I hadn't, a misstep might have occurred." He placed a stack of papers on the desk and exited the room.

Shortly after, a message appeared on my phone. As I read the contents, shock coursed through me. The images presented before me seemed implausible—yet they were undeniably connected.