37 - The Season Start - Pt. 2

If I knew what I would be getting myself into that night, on my front porch, when he kissed me, I would have done more to stop it. I would have picked up on the signs, the initial flirting at the McLaren dinner, blatantly making moves on me as we pre-drank at his home before the club.

But it was time to deal with my grown-up feelings like a grown-up would. By avoiding them at all costs.

--

I cowered behind Lando as he dialed Daniels call number on the doorbell for the large building. Ridiculous of me, really, as it's not like Daniel would be able to see us through the speaker. Also ridiculous as I stood taller than Lando in my 6-inch stiletto's. Maybe I was just doing my best to hide my nerves overall, and physically hiding myself seemed like a good way to start. Lando helped, even if he didn't know it, by acting as my comforter for the night.

Behind me, Molly and Rory were tiddling excitedly, ready to have a good time tonight. I should channel some of that energy. Carlee and Carson were already upstairs, and knew that we were coming. It felt good at least knowing that I would have some form of reprieve from the night in my sister-in-law, and Molly. Something familiar to run to, just in case.

My own home being down the block was quite tempting, too. Just a stones throw away, really.

"It's us!" Lando called into the speaker as Daniel answered with a 'hello?'. 

"Alright, come up!" Daniel returned, the door buzzing as it signaled to us that it was unlocked. We were in. Here we go.

I had been here once after the McLaren Christmas dinner; Daniel had invited me in that day we went for a run. It was quick, I stood in his familiar entryway as he filled his water bottle, and grabbed a photo of the workout sheet that Michael had put together for him. Looking around the elevator, it seemed different from the first night I had been there. And now, as the elevator opened and Rory cracked open the door to Daniels apartment, it again seemed different.

There were a lot of people here already, thankfully. Our arrival would flow seamlessly into the crowd of people bopping around, conversing, and drinking. Rory and Molly, though only a few steps ahead of Lando and I, had already disappeared somewhere into the sprawling sub-penthouse. They could be anywhere at this point. Damn, Molly. Thanks.

At least I had Lando. I shut the door gently behind us, more than I needed to be, trying to be as covert as I could. Don't draw attention. Lando offered to take my coat and purse as he removed his own coat. I handed him my coat, slipping my YSL clutch around my body with its silver chain. Just in case I needed to make a quick escape, or touch up my lipstick, or whatever.

I observed the party as I waited for Lando, chewing my inner lip nervously as I played with the chipped nail polish on my thumb. I was regretting taking my coat off, there was a chill coming in from the opened balcony doors. I could see people out there as well, lots of people.

"You alright?" Lando questioned, looking at me confused. "Why are you just standing there?"

I furrowed my brow as I threw my arms in front of me, "I was waiting for you!?" I chuckled, walking towards him now and linking an outstretched arm with his own. "Let's get me a drink, how about?"

"Whatever you say, weirdo," Lando murmured as we sauntered arm in arm to the kitchen, where a bartender had been set up and serving drinks.

"Could I get a vodka soda?" I asked the bartender, before turning to Lando, "And..."

"Just a lemonade, if you've got it," Lando finished. The bartender nodded, and got to work.

"A lemonade?" I asked, trying not to sound like I was mocking him.