51 - Booked and Busy

"I wanted to ask if joining us as a co-host on a post-race show might be something you're interested in doing," something about his glazed eyes and pearly smile told me this was an idea he thought was the greatest thing to come to him.

"Me?"

--

"Alright," I mumbled, observing the spotless room around me with a renewed sense of contentment. I had mopped the hardwood, vacuumed the area rug in the living room and fluffed the couch, spritzing it generously with my favorite subtlety scented linen spray. The entertainment display had been dusted, and the kitchen was sorted out, the marble sparkling like it was new and the drapes pulled back on the spotless windows, letting the glorious late-morning sun swim through the room.

Everything was all ready for my meeting with Will.

Daniel had been over this morning, tearing through my kitchen like a tornado in an old Western movie as he made us a quick breakfast of eggs, bacon, and avocado toast. The kind gesture left my kitchen looking like a mess, though you never would be able to tell with how I cleaned up after him. He managed to use dishes that I didn't even know I had, and for quite the oddest reasons. I learned quickly not to bother him in the kitchen. I was happy he could cook, and even more so seeing how he enjoyed cooking. He just didn't happen to share my affinity for cleaning as you cooked.

A grin spread across my face as my hand held the cup that he had his morning Latte in; deciding then I'd make myself a coffee as well while I waited. I recalled that I had juice in the fridge, plus the usual assortment of sparkling water should Will not want a tea or a coffee.

"Oh shit," I let out a hiss. I meant to head down to the Café around the corner to pick up some pastries. There was no time now, Will and I agreed that I would have him over by 10:30; which was now only a short 15 minutes away. I'd have to see what I had here, and make do.

I stopped myself before I lost control, letting my nerves get the better of me. I took a grounding breath, letting the palms of my hands rest on the edge of the couch as I leaned.

Everything would be okay. This was just a meeting, we were just discussing the prospect of a media appearance. He wasn't busting through my door with cameras in hand. This wasn't an interrogation, or an interview. I had nothing to worry about.

I startled suddenly, my heart nearly skipping a beat as my doorbell rang through the walls. I ran my fingers through the tips of my hair nervously as I approached the door, gaining more and more composure with each step. Stay calm, stay cool. He's here because he's interested. You have nothing to worry about.

"You're a bit early there, W-" my smile dropped, and my face contorted into one expressing my confusion as I heaved the door open.

"What in the world..."

"This bundle of flowers here are for a Ms... Alexa October," the man spoke, barely visible behind what he held in his two hands. I scanned the van stopped behind him on the street, realizing the man was from a flower delivery service.

"Oh, uh-" I took a look at the paperwork the man was holding out to me on a wooden clipboard. Right there on it, my name and address. The man nodded towards a pen tied by a strand of ribbon to the clipboard for me to use.

"Yeah, that's me. Thank you."

"No problem, ma'am. Someone must really care about ya, this one was the largest bundle in the truck," he laughed, head nodding over his shoulder in the direction of his van. "You have a lovely day then, yeah?"