32 - Dinner with Leanne

"I just want to know that you're mine, if you know what I mean. I want to be able to call you my girlfriend."

"Mason, I..."

--

We ensured to get back home at a reasonable hour; leaving ample time for us to get ready for dinner, for Mason to pack for his flight in the morning, and for us to generally cool down after our 'tour' of London. Mason was unexpectedly a fan of Hyde Park, the Serpentine in particular, enjoying the bit of nature mixed into the wildly urban London. We eventually made it to Buckingham before turning around and circling back.

I sent Carlee a text before we got back into my car, opting to treat Mason with a ride in the 720s for the evening. I let her know that we were stopping at the Hangar first, just in case traffic wasn't on our side and we ended up getting held back. I thought I was leaving enough time, but thats all based on whatever the highway traffic had planned for me.

Mason opted to nap on the drive to the Hangar, telling me to wake him up when we got there. He fell asleep within a matter of minutes, before I had even left the city center, really. I turned, observing him as he slept. The prominent muscles in his face relaxed, mouth open just a touch as his gentle steady breath drew in and out, his chest rising and falling in sync. I returned my eyes to the road, focusing on the boisterous hum of the engine behind me and the rumbling of the road underneath me as we came up to speed on the highway. I knew the route to the Hangar like the back of my hand. Dad always thought I was crazy when I decided I wanted to live in London, with my work such a drive away. I grew to love the commute (except for the odd day where there was an accident, or weather was completely shit), especially when I drove cars like this one. Plus, there was no way I would live in Camberley.

It was moments like this; being oddly aware of how my decisions in life brought me to this instance, where I considered if they had all been the right decision.

I could only hope. I guess time would tell.

"Hey," I turned the car off, my body feeling the loss of the vibrations and movement of the world around me. "We're here."

I placed my hand on Masons shoulder as I shook him gently, smiling as he woke up, taking in the scene before him. The bleak airspace didn't do what was coming justice. "This is it?"

I chuckled, getting out of the car, "Just you wait."

Any ounce of doubt was wiped from Mason's face as I opened the door to the Hangar. It never got old, seeing peoples reactions. I gave him a walk-around of all the cars we had in inventory currently, watched as he gawked at some of the rare cars that we had, and followed him as he made his way to the posters on the wall. He smiled, seeing the photos of Carson and I in karting when we were younger, before stopping at the photo of me standing beside my old F2 car; the one I won the championship with in 2018.

Mason bit his lip, pointing at the photo before turning to me, "I still sometimes have a hard time envisioning this part of your life."

I crossed my arms, smiling back as I teased, "Why? Hard seeing a woman in motorsport?"

"Not at all, believe me, especially you. You're definitely competitive enough. You're always just so hesitant to talk about your time in motorsport."

I sighed, gazing down to the floor, "I don't know, there's just not much to say, I guess. I won the title, and then quit."