Chapter 26

Lloyd dug his hands into his pockets as he trudged out of the Overlord's quarters, trying his best not to limp. Frustration boiled inside of him. It wasn't his fault he couldn't think straight and come up with a new plan. His back felt raw and was still aching from the lashes he had taken, and the realization of his marking still clouded his mind.

He stalked down the hall, aware of everyone around casting him weird looks. They whispered among themselves as Joseph joined him.

"What are they whispering about?" Lloyd asked him.

Joseph shrugged. "I told you people would talk about you and Ariana," he said.

Lloyd saw a few of the people he passed skitter away from him. "Are you sure that's it?" he murmured. "It's almost as if they're scared of me."

Lloyd blocked out whatever Joseph replied as he remembered what Ariana had said to him. He couldn't believe it was true. Am I really that scary? He didn't mean to frighten anyone. What happened to me?

"Hey! Wait up, Garmadon!"

Lloyd halted, tensing at the unfamiliar voice. Furrowing his eyebrows, he whipped around as two red-headed, freckled boys skidded to a halt in front of him, smiling cheekily. He stiffened and stared at them, seeing they looked exactly alike except for one had blue eyes and the other had green. Twins, he thought. Great.

"What do you want?" he spat at them.

The two giggled to themselves, undeterred by his coldness. "We really admire you, ya know!" the blue-eyed boy exclaimed.

"Y-yeah!" the green-eyed boy added. "L-like h-how you were s-so angry y-you stormed off to steal what you wanted, r-ready to kill anyone in your way!"

Lloyd crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow, wondering what the strange duo was getting at. His guard was up too well to really soak in their praise.

"W-we j-just want you to know, next time y-you do something crazy, w-we want to help!" the green-eyed twin went on.

"Yeah!" the other one said, his blue eyes gleaming. "We'll stay by your side through thick and thin!"

Thick and thin? Lloyd couldn't stop himself before he burst into laughter. Help me? These two jokes? He wiped tears from his eyes when he could finally control himself again. "Okay," he chortled. "That's very cute. But look, guys, I don't really think you two can... well... keep up with me."

The blue-eyed boy straightened. "Don't worry, Garmadon! We'd do anything to be by your side!"

"Y-yeah," the green-eyed twin agreed. "A-and our friends w-wanna help, t-too!"

Lloyd's eyes rounded. "Your friends?" He couldn't hide the amusement from his voice as he went on. "And, who are your friends, exactly?"

The twins turned around and pointed across the room. "Over there!" they answered in unison.

Lloyd followed their gazes, expecting to find a pack of young, inexperienced boys like them, but he found every part of himself freezing as he spotted the group of Baddies. They looked even older than him and they were much bigger. Their faces were harder, their bodies more muscular. His breath caught in his throat. They were Top Rankers. "Are... are you sure they know you?" he murmured.

The twins nodded and turned back to the green ninja. "Yep!" the blue-eyed boy chirped. "And you see Cree? He's been watching you get stronger ever since you came here!"

Lloyd switched his gaze to a dark-haired, dark-skinned man whose eyes were locked on him, figuring that was Cree. He was the most fit compared to the others and, by the way he towered over them, Lloyd guessed he was the leader of their group. His eyes blazed intensely as he inspected the green ninja.