14. Too Sensitive & Uptight

Veronica's POV:

"Okay I'm here!" Sheryl announced her way into the house with the rest of the early guests that was getting ready to kick off the night. The house has been rearranged for the party. I don't know how much capacity it's going to take to fit 105 guests but something tells me I might have invited too many people. I still went with the club theme for Ryan's birthday party. I thought it would be a great distraction for us from this current situation that we're still facing. He hasn't been feeling himself lately, and I can still tell he felt bad and stressed. It would be nice for him to just enjoy the night and think about other things. Besides, tonight is his night. I don't want it to get ruined in any way, we've been planning this for a week now.

The bar and food section were already being set up in one corner of the house by a wonderful catering team that I managed to get in touch with. I asked Sheryl to help me coordinate the crowd of people to stay quiet until Ryan comes home. As ridiculous as it sounds, I still wanted him to have a surprise party. I asked him earlier to buy more baby food for Xavier, so I can have enough time to set up the house.

"Where is he anyways?" Sheryl asked, approaching me with her over the top outfit on. If there's one thing about Sheryl, she'll always take the opportunity to overdress for any occasion. Her outfit tonight definitely stood out from most people. It was an off-the-shoulder mini dress that had glitter all over it. If the glitter wasn't enough to make her stand out, the bright pink color definitely did the work too. I have to admit for a mother of two kids, she still had her figure and her face hasn't aged a day.

"I sent him to buy something, he should be back in a couple minutes so we have to gather the people who are already here now," I instructed her.

"I just hope he enjoys this party. I never would've guessed it to be a club theme. Ryan usually isn't the big party type you know?" She continued to speak, with a drink already in her hand.

"Oh I know, there was a lot of convincing from my end."

"Has he been doing well lately?" She then opposed a question that caught me off guard. "When he picked up Xavier earlier today, he didn't say much and he looked....exhausted."

"He seemed fine to me earlier," I tried to keep a straight face so she won't suspect anything. She tilted her head and furrowed her eyebrows.

"Really? I just assumed something might have happened between you two," she responded.

"We're fine. Nothing is going on," I said with a fake smile.

Momentarily, my ears picked up the sound of a car door being slammed from outside. "I think that's him," I told Sheryl. Everyone got into their positions and the lights were then turned off. The house grew silent in complete darkness. Seconds later, Ryan's footsteps was heard from the other end of the door, along with the sound of dangling keys being jammed into the lock.

"What the—" Ryan spoke once he stepped inside. The lights were immediately turned back on.

"Surprise!" Everyone jumped with excitement. "Happy birthday!" We all screamed simultaneously.

Pure confusion and shock was plastered all over Ryan's face. He set the bags down and took in the scenery. "I knew this was coming," he said with a half smile on his face. "Thank you everyone." His smile then fainted seconds later. Well. I expected him to be much happier after this surprise but from the look of his face, it seems like it didn't intrigue him a bit.

"Happy birthday," I approached him, handing him a drink I poured for him just a few minutes ago. "Isn't this great?"

"Yeah it is, thank you," he pecked my lips and took the drink from my hand. I was still sensing the lack of emotions from him.