8. You're not Safe

Veronica's POV:

We finished off the night with a few champagnes and drunk conversations. It was past midnight and neither of us thought about the poor drinking choice we were making right now. We were outside in the backyard sitting near the bonfire, snuggled up underneath a big cotton blanket. We mostly talked about the kind of party Ryan would want for his birthday.

"I was thinking more of a club night with your close friends and family?" I made another suggestion to him.

"Oh god no, I can't drink in front of my family. It would be embarrassing," he immediately went against the idea.

"Why? I think it would be fun. When was the last time we went to a club?" I tried convincing him. Even though I disliked loud over crowded places, I feel like Ryan and I barely do any spontaneous or fun activities anymore. We've been so caught up with being parents, and investing so much time on work, the baby and the house. This is probably our only time in a long time we've had some kind of alcohol in our system.

"Have you seen me drunk? Besides nothing ever goes right at a club. Either someone fights or someone takes things too far," he specifically shot me a stare after he said that.

I rolled my eyes. "I don't start a fight all the time. Fine if you don't want a club party then you can have a boring dinner party again and act proper around other boring old people." I said giving up, pouting at his direction.

"If you want to throw me a club party then you can..only under one condition. My parents aren't allowed to come. I don't want them to see me passed out drunk," he said.

I smiled widely, "thats even better." My phone vibrated on my lap moments later. I didn't realize how dark it was getting outside and how quiet the neighborhood has become. "It's getting late, maybe we should head inside," I informed Ryan. He stretched his arms before he got up from his seat.

He released a yawn before gathering up the items we've brought outside. "The baby monitor has been too quiet, I'm gonna go check on Xavier before heading to sleep," I heard him say before walking off.

I then continued to unlock my phone and check the notification I've received. It was a text. My body froze when I recognized the number being the same one that Michael used to call me days before. I was hesitant about opening the text, let alone reading it. How is he still able to track me through this number. I specifically remember blocking it.

Another text came through. The second one consisted of three words: Open the text.

I found myself opening the message anyways. It was an attachment of three pictures. One picture showed a landscape view of the front of my house, the other pictured was of me getting out of my car, it seems like it was taken before the dinner with Ryan's family and the last picture is what took me by surprise. It was a picture of Ryan and I on top of each other on the kitchen counter. The angle of the photo was taken right through the kitchen glass door. It hasn't even been a full hour that we've done it in the kitchen. He was here. I was confused at how he could trespass through the backyard or any area near this house. Before moving in, we've installed a security system that monitors and alters of any sound or body movements. I would've gotten the notification through my phone is anyone would've walked up to the house or even stepped an inch near it.

I don't know why I feel the sudden eerie feeling that I'm being watched right now. My eyes roamed around the backyard for a brief minute, I stayed silent, observing any sounds or signs of movement. Momentarily, I felt someone's hand grip onto my shoulder. I jumped in place, only to find Ryan standing behind me with a confused look.