Chapter 82: Ahead of the Pack

"We should reach Prison Station tomorrow," Lexa says quietly. They've been making good time, even staying out of the open as much as possible. Right now, they're sitting in a huddled circle around the small fire she has decided they must risk. If they are attacked by bandits, so be it. That is better than freezing to death. Several of their blankets are wet as well and need to be dried. The map is also open in front of her, lit dimly by the dancing flames.

"Good to know," Raven says, teeth chattering. She has dark circles under her eyes and her hair is loose and messy. The pace has not been kind to her, much less the weather. "Let's hope they have heating."

"So what are we saying? What's our story?" Octavia asks. She's handling it better, probably because Linkon is wrapped around her in the nights to keep her warm and help her sleep. Even now, he sits close to her, sharing the heat of his body with her.

Anya would do the same for Raven, but she is trying to give the girl 'space', as asked. With her own love missing and in great danger, part of Lexa thinks they are fools for wanting any space between them when it is clear how much they care for each other. But then, Clarke once also needed time. It is better to wait and build something strong than hurry to create something that will only break.

John shrugs. "I wanted to join my Dad. You wanted to get away from the Ark. We keep it simple."

"You could not have made it across the border and through Azgeda territory without a guide," Anya says brusquely. "You are weak, unused to travel, and unfamiliar with this area. You have no skills that would enable you to survive."

"Hey!" Raven says, shivering. "I resent that." She manages a faint smile. "I mean, it's totally accurate, but I still resent it." Anya eyes Raven, then takes the driest blanket and wraps it tightly around her. Raven gives her another smile.

Lexa nods. "I thought you could claim Linkon aided you. You can say he is an outcast..." she stops. Raven is already shaking her head.

"Lincoln can't come with us," Raven says flatly.

Now it's Octavia's turn to be offended. "Lincoln would do a great job. He's used to dealing with our people, he's smart, he's an amazing fighter -"

"He's the size of a truck," Raven says bluntly. "They wouldn't trust him and they certainly wouldn't trust us if we brought along a guy who looks like he could beat up the entire station." She evaluates the others. "And Zion's too old, there's no way they'd think he's not using us." Zion blinks, looking surprised but not offended. "We could take Anya. Dress her up so she looks less threatening, have her act harmless..."

Raven trails off. Every person in the circle looks at Anya, her fierce eyes and angular face lit by the fire. Anya, to please Raven, attempts to make herself look friendly and harmless, spreading out her arms and smiling, widening her eyes and huddling a little to try and seem sweet.

"NO," Octavia, John, Zion, Lincoln and even Raven all say at the same time. Lexa's lips twitch but she contains her smile. Try as she might, Anya does not look harmless, she looks like she is barely containing herself from killing someone. She is not sure she has ever seen something as unnerving as Anya trying to look young and inoffensive.

Anya's fake smile dissolves into a much more natural looking scowl. "Well, Linkon will have to manage then. Perhaps we can make him look less threatening." She eyes Linkon. "If we injured his leg again -"

Octavia nearly chokes on the strip of meat she's tearing into. "You mean pretend to injure his leg again, right? Please tell me that's what you mean."

"It would be a careful, deliberate stab wound," Anya says earnestly, though Lexa can see the hidden mischief in her eyes. She sends Anya a stern glance, indicating she should stop deliberately aggravating Octavia. Anya sighs. "Fine."