Chapter 58: High On Life

"It is time," Lexa says quietly, looking at the watch Clarke gave her. "Skaikru, stay back. We will go first and clear the way."

"And if Clarke hasn't managed to activate it yet?" Monty says, worried.

Anya bares her teeth at him. "Then our fight will be over, and you will leave."

Jasper swallows. "Right. Right, we can do that."

"Float that," Raven says grimly. "I'm not going anywhere. If either of you die, then so do all of them. It's about time I got to blow some stuff up." She hands Lexa and Anya a grenade each.

"I already have one," Anya points out.

"Then have another one," Raven snaps. "Have as many as you like, just don't die or I'll kill you." She puts her hand on the back on Anya's head and kisses her hard before pulling back, glaring at Anya like her action was somehow Anya's fault.

Anya blinks, surprised, opening and closing her mouth like she wants to ask what that kiss just meant. Everyone else looks fairly shocked by it too.

Lexa clears her throat, checking her watch again. She passes the grenade to the nearest gona. She prefers her sword, though she appreciates the sentiment from Raven. "Now." she says forcefully, "Clarke should be awake and have activated it by now. Forward, gona!"

There are only three guards on the way to the door. John, along with them for his knowledge of the doorway but still worryingly enthusiastic about the gun he now holds, manages to direct them around any areas that are normally well guarded. The first one falls with Lexa's knife through his left eye. Raven snags his communicator and fiddles with it, then nods. "It's working, but there's nothing there for it to contact," she says, a sharp grin on her face. "Clarke managed to activate it. The central control station is down."

"They could still have an army of Maunon with guns waiting," Anya points out.

"Really?" Raven asks smugly. "I think they'll be a little distracted by the active nuclear device. The apparent side-effect of gamma rays fucking up their equipment is probably a bit less important."

Lexa rolls her eyes and continues forward. She makes a mental note not to bring Raven and Anya into battle together again, at least until they have had some time with each other to work out their tension. It is probably for the best they are about to be split up. Hopefully she and Clarke do not appear so easily distracted when they fight together. She has to admit, though, that her first thought when the communicator did not work was less about the mission and more about her relief that Clarke was still alive.

Raven's glee when she blows the door is apparent. "Boom," she whispers, pressing the trigger from a safe distance.

Dirt fountains and metal squeals, but it is less noticeable than the way the world shakes. "They will have heard that," Anya comments.

"Oh, sorry, now you want quiet explosives?" Raven snarks softly. "Should have said."

Lexa ignores them both. "Third Team, ready yourselves," she snaps. "Down there they will have heard this but will find it difficult to tell where the noise is from. Up here they will not have that issue. Guard our exit at all costs." First Team was Octavia's, Second Team was Clarke's, Third Team is Anya's and Fourth is Lexa's. Third remains around the door, stopping any Maunon from blocking it back up or ambushing the entering team from behind. Maunon are already appearing and Anya throws a grenade, her face lighting up as she sees the devastation it causes. John laughs, the first time Lexa has seen him look truly happy. A scrap of metal tears past Lexa's head as she ducks into the passageway Raven has forced open.