Chapter 43: The Chains of Command

It's close to being a sleepless night for Clarke, but between teaching the people of Farm Station and Mecha Station how to put up tents, persuading Factory Station to start packing, and explaining multiple times to Jaha that they can't remain in Azgeda territory, she does somehow manage to catch a couple of hours. The only reason she got any was because of Sinclair's quiet support and Raven's relationships with her former co-workers. It feels like she only spends minutes curled up against Lexa though before she's being apologetically woken.

"The sky is light, ai niron," Lexa tells her softly. "It is time to pack up and leave. However, if you would like -"

"No," Clarke replies, stifling a yawn and sitting up. "I'm fine. I'm ready to go find Alpha Station and Prison Station."

"Jaha is difficult," Lexa observes. "Cole was not so."

"Cole's more of a follower," Clarke says grumpily. "And Jaha's more of an idiot. I think half the reason he's being unreasonable is because he doesn't like it that I've taken charge. So far he's been managing to avoid outright argument by patronising me, and I've been mostly working around him while he's distracted, but sooner or later Wells isn't going to be there to mediate and there will be a fight." She's only really been avoiding putting Jaha in his place because of Wells, and suspects he's thinking the exact same thing about her. This can only end well.

Lexa frowns. "I do not believe it would be honourable for Jaha to use a gun," she says thoughtfully. "I suppose one of the gona could lend him a sword for your battle." She doesn't express any worry at all – making it crystal clear who she thinks the victor would be.

"It will probably be a verbal fight," Clarke says, although she does dwell longingly on the idea for a few seconds first. "But I'll keep that in mind just in case."

Lexa nods briskly and helps Clarke up, starting to pack their things with brutal efficiency. Clarke tries to ignore the butterflies in her stomach – today she'll find her mother, either alive or dead.

Clarke walks beside Lexa at the head of the column. Jaha finds himself politely pushed back by guards so that he's not quite equal to them – the only people allowed to walk as an equal with the Commander are those she chooses to allow. Farm Station, Mecha Station and Factory Station are managing to keep up relatively well, especially impressive for Factory Station as they haven't had much food in the days since they landed.

They walk mostly in silence. Everyone's tense. The surviving stations are absorbing the fact that at least six hundred of their people are dead – and possibly more, depending on the safety of the remaining two stations. They're nervous and twitchy around the Grounders. In turn, the Azgeda aren't especially comfortable with the soft, slow Sky People, who are as unlike their people as it is possible to be. Previously, on Clarke's orders, all of the Skaikru had hidden their guns, but it looks like Jaha has reversed that order, which isn't helping matters. The Trikru, now outnumbered by strangers in their closest rival's lands, half crouch as they move forward, automatically falling into a warrior's cautious stance.

"So, Heda," Clarke says after a while, her voice carrying. She forces herself to sound casual. "I've been meaning to tell you." She needs to find something that is nearly identical between their people, a common ground. A relaxing common ground.

Lexa looks at Clarke, and realises what she's trying to do – get everyone to calm down a bit. "Yes, Clarke kom Skaikru?"

"You shared your fayowada with us," Clarke says. "We have some drinks I'd like to share with you. Vodka, for starters. You know, in celebration, when we get to our new home. Guaranteed no poison." The Trikru immediately behind them mutter at that, but quieten straight away when Anya glances back. Raven raises an eyebrow at Clarke, though, looking intrigued by the random comment.