Chapter 21: A Failure to Communicate

"No, Dad, I don't know their numbers," Wells says into the radio, frustrated. "I keep telling you, I'm not hiding anything about the Grounders, I just -" he breaks off as Clarke enters and gives her a weary smile.

"Hi, Chancellor," Clarke says pleasantly, so that Jaha will know she's here as well. Inside, she's annoyed. Jaha has asked both Wells and her about the number of Grounders, their positions, their technology, and so on, multiple times. He's treating them as a threat already even though everything he knows about them is positive.

She could consider that he's just trying to account for every possibility. But given past events, she's not very good at giving the Chancellor the benefit of the doubt anymore.

"Hello, Clarke," Jaha says, slight constraint in his voice. "I'll talk to you later, son."

Wells clicks the radio off and mutters "Can't wait," to it sarcastically, then turns to face Clarke.

She'd forgotten the awkwardness in their relationship, the distance they show sometimes. She thinks it's caused by Jaha's position as Chancellor, as judge, jury and executioner of everyone else. Maybe now the distance is also exacerbated by Clarke's father's death and by Wells' arrest.

"Don't tell him," Clarke says suddenly.

"What?"

"Don't tell him anything about the Grounders except what you already have," Clarke clarifies. "Not a thing, okay?" She remembers how loyal he's always been to his father, in spite of their differences. But she also remembers when he wasn't loyal to his father. When he refused to throw Jake – to throw Clarke – under the bus for his father's approval. His loyalty to his father is trumped by one thing, and that's her, and right now she needs Jaha to focus on bringing the Ark down and not on an imaginary war with the Trikru.

Wells looks at her for a moment, then nods. "Of course," he says firmly, and she relaxes. Wells doesn't break his promises, she knows that now. "But I don't think he's planning anything, Clarke. He's just being cautious."

"I know," Clarke says softly. "But caution led to my father's pointless death, so I think maybe he should be a little less cautious from now on."

"Clarke," Wells looks sad, "I know you must hate my father, but -"

"I don't," Clarke says quickly, and sees his doubtful expression. "No, really, I don't. Sometimes people have to make terrible decisions. Especially leaders. He did the wrong thing, but he believed he was protecting our people. I don't hate him." She injects her voice with sincerity. It's true. She doesn't hate Jaha. She doesn't like him, and she doesn't trust him, but she does understand his actions. After what she's done, she can't hate him for the death of her father, although she can't forget it either.

A pause. "Do you feel that way about your mom, too? Now that you know what happened?"

"I haven't told her I know," Clarke admits, and Wells nods like she's just confirming something he already suspected.

"Why not?"

Clarke shrugs. "She'd want to talk about it, talk it through, work out our feelings." She's already worked out her feelings. She has no desire to go through the painful process again. It's easier just to leave it behind her.

"Maybe you should," he suggests.

"No," Clarke says with finality, and searches for a change of subject. "So what's going on with you and Finn?"

Wells stiffens. "What do you mean?" he says.

"You moved into a different house," Clarke points out.