chapter 25

POV no one: It was new year's eve and the couple was extremely excited about it. They loved this holiday, it was the day they had a bunch of fast food and no one had an opinion, they watch movies and eventually have some wine and watch the fireworks. They were so excited to share this with Blakely, but neither of them suspected how she would actually react.

Earlier that day

Maya had just told Blakely what the plan was for today, she was excited...except for the fireworks. Still she covered up her fear because she didn't want to ruin one of her parents favourite holidays. Carina asked Blakely to help her pick some stuff she wanted to eat, once that was done and Carina started to place the order, Maya asked Blakely to help her pick out some movies to watch. Together they picked a lot of comedy movies. Night School, Jumanji, Grownups and Grownups 2, Mean Girls, Blended and White Chicks. Then they got Carina to pick her top three. She ended up picking Blended, Mean Girls, and with lots of convincing from Maya and some puppy dog eyes from Blakely she caved and said they can watch White Chicks. Carina was unimpressed with the choices of movies but with her two favourite girls giving her puppy dog eyes she couldn't say no.

The trio started the first movie as they waited for the food to arrive. They decided to have an early dinner and then they can have snacks throughout the rest of the evening.

Around four the food arrived and they had almost finished the first movie. The little family made their way to the kitchen and grabbed some plates, got their food and then made their way back to their spots on the couch.

Halfway through the second movie Blakely had moved so that her head was on Carina's lap and her legs on Maya's. Both women smiled down at the girl then at eachother. They had come so far and things had been great.  And they couldn't be any happier.

Slowly Carina ran her fingers through Blakely's hair, as the two mothers recently found out this was something that calmed the girl down a lot. It's not that she was anxious right now but Carina just felt like doing it.

"Mama stop you're going to make me fall asleep and I don't wanna miss the movie." Blakely whined.

"Aww bambina, it's ok, the movie isn't that good anyways, plus we're all staying up late so you should take a quick nap." Carina tried to reason with the 11 year old.

"Carina! First of all these movies are great! These movies are part of history and everyone knows them! Also Blakely it wouldn't hurt to get some shut eye, even if it's for like 15 minutes." Maya told them.

"Ugh fineeee." Blakely said as she flopped back down, "but at least wake me up so I can watch the last movie."

"Ok champ, now get some sleep." Maya said.

Carina resumed playing with the girls hair and Maya placed a blanket over her.

Once she was out, Carina and Maya took this as their chance to sneak off upstairs.

"We need to be quiet this time!" Maya said.

"Si si I know."

And so the couples new year's eve activities began.

Once these "activities" finished they cleaned up and went back downstairs and to their luck Blakely was still sound asleep. After five minutes Blakely woke up just in time to start the last movie.

"Hey sleepyhead." Maya said kissing her forehead.

"Hi mom."

"Are you ready for the last movie bella?" Carina asked.

Blakely nodded.

Maya pulled up the movie and pressed start.

The movie went by fast, with lots of laughs, and a few pauses because Carina or Blakely didn't always understand the jokes so there was a little explanation of them, but other then that everything was perfect. When the movie ended it was 11:45 so the couple got everything set up outside so they can all watch the fireworks in 15 minutes.

"Blakers come here!" Maya said excitedly.

Blakely slowly made her way down knowing it was almost time for the part of the night she was dreading.

"Hi mom." Blakely said as happy as she could muster.

"Are you ready for the fireworks? Come on come on!" Maya was so excited this was her favourite part of new years.

The three of them got settled outside with lots of blankets and a cup of hot chocolate for each.

"It's gonna start in 2 minutes i'm so excited!" Maya told everyone.

Those two minutes has Blakely wishing it went by slow but with her luck it went by like in a second and soon there were colours in the sky and cheering and loud popping noises. After three fireworks the small girl couldn't handle it anymore and she ran inside.

Once inside she ran up to her room and hid under her bed.

Outside Maya and Carina looked at eachother concerned and ran into the house rushing up the stairs to their daughters room.

Carina got in Blakely's room first and saw a pair of little feet sticking out from under the bed. She bent down, ready to help her daughter through whatever was going on in her mind.

"Hi bambina." She said in a soft voice.

Blakely didn't respond or even look up.

"Me and mama are here babygirl." Maya told her.

"I know it's hard but can you please tell us what's going on?" Maya asked.

Blakely shook her head, she was embarrassed. Everyone she knew loved fireworks and they always talked about it. She hates not being able to love it as well but it just takes her back to a place that was so hard to escape from both physically and in her mind as well.

The first responders tried to think about what would scare her, and after a minute Carina was able to figure it out.

"Maya," She motioned, "the fireworks."

Maya realized it to, and then she felt bad. Was their daughter scared to tell them that she's afraid?

"Bubs, are you scared of fireworks?" Maya asked her wanting to confirm even though she already knew.

The girl nodded, in shame.

"Hey that's ok. I'm sorry that scared you, I'm sorry you felt as though you couldn't tell us. We should've asked if you were ok with it first. Bubs me and mama are so so so sorry." Maya said with tears in her eyes.

"Momma it's not your fault." Blakely told her in a whisper.

"Oh baby, I'm still sorry."

"Are the fireworks still on?" She asked.

"Si bambina, can I ask you something?"

Blakely nodded.

"I have a pair of noise canceling headphones, if you want you can put them on and we can still watch the fireworks, you won't hear the pops but you can still see the pretty colours?" Carina suggested.

Blakely thought for a minute, then nodded. She really did like fireworks just not the sounds it makes.

Together the little family went downstairs, Carina got Blakely the headphones, and they all curled up on the lounge chair they have in the backyard. There were blankets scattered over everything on three steaming cups of hot chocolate.

Although there was a small problem today Maya and Carina wouldn't want to go into the new year any other way.

HEYYYY! here is a long overdue update, i hope you enjoyed, please let me know ur honest thoughts! dms are always open!