they went missing

I couldn't see them going somewhere in life. They wore a striped shirt and bandage on their leg, I've been told that they're smart, smarter than any student we've had. I couldn't believe them.
They'd always come late to class and would sleep a majority of it, but of course, I didn't have the nerve to wake them.
I've been told that they're genderless, never seen using any bathroom on campus unless it was the nurses. Anytime I'd ask I'd get the same answer," I'm not too sure either, Miss." Before they'd go back to whatever they were doing. I stopped asking since.
They've been failing my class, low scores on everything and any parent-teacher conference I've asked for has been declined. Always in frisk's handwriting. Always. Then, one day, they went missing. I called home. Visited said home. Never received an answer, only angry murmurs before silence.
I joined a search team. I didn't want to think about the worst when we found their DNA somewhere in the forest.
So, when they gave up searching for them, I began looking for myself. I followed the odd footprints leading up to the mountains, the one no ever came back from, and jumped into the gaping hole in the side.
I could only hope they were down there.
I landed in a mush of flowers, breaking my fall and saving me from the pain. I was grateful.
I observed my surroundings and someone was here before me. I got up and took off out the only exit I'd seen. It's been a few weeks, so if they were down here and alive, I'd have to move fast.