falls

Walking up the mountain, the pace slows as the negative thoughts swarm your mind. Only getting worse the higher up you get. “Didn’t think I would see my end like this.” You say, blinking back tears as they form in your eyes, the wind not helping. You take off your glasses and put them into the pocket of your Rick & Morty joggers, they were fogging up anyway. Not like you need them to see the gaping hole of the mountain.
You reach the top, out of breath and more than ready to welcome your death.
You don’t think much when you stand at the edge, your thoughts quieting for a moment. This is it. You think before stepping over the edge. Falling with a quiet yell.
-----
When you come to, not that you thought you would, you’re greeted by the soft petals er well not soft, they’re crushed now, but they saved your fall. Dammit. You sigh and stand up, a jolting pain running up your leg. You yelp and fall back down. “Damn. Didn’t die and now I have to deal with this?” You lightly tap your leg in different places, hissing the closer you get to your ankle.
“ It’s not broken. That’s good.”
You groan and try to stand again, putting lightweight on your foot. Should’ve died in the fall, idiot.
You sigh, “Not today.” You look around, noticing the random flower in the back, unharmed by your fall. It turns to you suddenly and you freeze, “What the…” It smiles at you and opens its eyes, “Howdy! I’m Flowey! Flowey the flower.” You can’t decide if you’re just hallucinating so you ignore it, limping to the only exit you see. This doesn’t please the buttercup growing to your left, “Wha- Hey! Don’t ignore me! I’m only trying to help.” It whines, but you keep going anyway. Should’ve taken your meds. You sigh and limp faster.
Leaving the room you run into a furry wall and by a wall, I mean goat lady. She looks nice. Maybe she could help you. “Uhm. Hello.” You say, awkwardly as she stares at you with surprise.
“Oh! Oh, dear. I wasn’t expecting company. Come with me.” She picks you up against your will and carries you through tunnels and puzzles, talking all the while. You simply nod your head when it's appropriate, letting her take the lead. After all, how will you get out of here without help? Not long later she walks to a little home in the place she calls The Ruins, it looks pretty cute. She sets you down and pulls out a set of keys, why she has so many you will never know, out of her pocket and opens the door. Welcoming you inside all the while. “ I haven’t tidied up. I’m sorry I wasn’t expecting visitors, but there is a room you could sleep in for the time, to rest. I’ll bake you some pie. Here, let me show you the way.” She mumbles and takes your wrist softly, leading you to the right and a room. The first door.
She opens it and leads you inside, “Here. I think you’ll be able to fit on the bed. How old are you, dear?” You look at her, “...I'm 18.” She blinks, “...18? You’re not...14?” You sigh as blood rushes to your face, warming your cheeks, “I’m just...short.” you mumble as she brings her hand to her mouth, “Oh dear, you look like a child. Oh. I apologize. That was rude, but you look so young! Tired? Yes, sure, but you look so tiny!” She goes about and leaves, “I’ll go make that pie before I embarrass myself further.
You facepalm, “Why couldn’t I have grown up in middle school?” Alright, details on your appearance? Here we go. You stand at a whopping 4'8, you’ve got three piercings, one in your ear and two under your bottom lip. That’s it. Choose everything else, these are specific and needed for the story. Especially your height!
Yeah, maybe if you would’ve just grown a pair we wouldn’t be here. “Man, you get annoying fast. What’s got you so talkative lately anyway.” The voice doesn’t answer.
You check out the room, the bed looks mighty fine. You limp your way over, sitting on the edge. You take your shoes off and lay down. The fall was your escape but it looks like you won’t be going up anytime soon. If that’s even possible...not like you wanna go back anyway.
Your eyes sink close as the thoughts slowly grow louder. Negative, they always are. Bringing you nightmares as you sleep, unable to wake.
The feeling of heaviness wakes you, waking you out of that nightmare. The one that never changes. You look down at your chest and the flower from earlier greets you, “Well, good morning!” You don’t question it this time, sighing loudly,” Yes, Flowey?” The flower blinks, “If you heard me the first time, why did you ignore me??” You wave a hand, yawning, “Thought I was hearing things. I do that a lot. With my ears.” Flowey rolls his dotted eyes and looks at you with a serious face, “ Well, next time Don’t. Anyway, you’ve got to get out of here to make it to the surface, y’know?” He points to the ceiling with his petal.
You shake your head, “ I’m good. The surface sucks. I’d rather stay down here instead.” He shakes his head, “ No, you’ve got to help us to get to the surface. Staying down here for thousands of years would make you miss something, right?” You shrug and push him off you, “I’m gonna go see what the goat lady is doing in the kitchen, I’ll be back.” He flashes you a smile, “Her name’s Toriel and we can finish talking when you get back.” You nod and limp out of the room.
“Hey uh, Miss? Is that pie good? I would love to try it.” You say entering her area. She’s reading a book about snails. Okay.
“It’s in the kitchen dear, it should help with your ankle. Enjoy.” She pats you on the arm as you walk past her. Her motherly encouragement fills you with Determination…
“Thanks, Mah. I’ll be sure to enjoy it.” She flinches at the nickname but you don’t see it but I’m telling you because I can.
You walk into the kitchen and see the pie on the counter, your mouth waters as you walk closer. The aroma gets to your empty stomach. Having not eaten since before your not alive attempt. “Smells so good!” You grab the whole thing and cut you ¼ of it, not wanting to be greedy. You savor it as you stand in the kitchen, taking another piece for later. You walk back to the...living room(?) and thank Toriel. “It was delicious, I left you some too. I didn’t want to eat it all myself.” She smiles widely, “ It’s alright if you want the rest, My child. Enjoy as much as you like.” You hop excitedly on your feet, “Seriously!?! Thank you!” you take off back to the kitchen, her giggles heard through it. You take the whole thing, thank her again and head back to the room you’re in.
“So, Toriel made us pie and I grabbed some for you. I didn’t know if you’d be hungry.” Flowey gives you a blank look as you sit down on the bed with him, “You brought me...pie?” You nod, “Yeah. About earlier, I figured I could help you guys get to the surface, even if I don’t want to go. Everyone deserves to be happy.” Except yourself apparently. You ignore that thought. Flowey smiles, “Even at the cost of your soul?” He asks, head tilted to the right innocently. You snort and nod, “Sure, I’m not doing much with it.” His smile falters just enough for you to see.
You backtrack quickly, “I’m just saying, you guys helped me so much in the last hour or so than most people in my life. I’d give you whatever.” You smile. He looks like he’s thinking hard about something so you leave him to it. Eating your pie in silence.
He breaks the silence with a loud sound and looks at you, “Do you have no value for your own life?” You shrug, “I just want you guys to get out of here, whatever happens to me is whatever. How do I get you guys out of here anyway?” You ask to change the subject. Flowey notices, he always does and you can see how his face changes, “We collect the other six souls and break the barrier.” He says, shrugging his leaves. You nod, “And how do I do that?” He sighs exaggeratedly, “By getting out of here would be the first step, of course.” He gives you a funny look, describing the amount of stupidity he’s hearing.
You nod and stand up, “Alright, let’s go.” He shakes his head, “I can’t be with you when you find Toriel, she doesn’t like me.” You shrug, “ Alright then, take care? I’ll see you later, I guess.” He gives you another one of those funny looks before disappearing into the ground.
You walk out of the room in search of Toriel. Going down the weird set of stairs first. She comes down a few seconds later telling you to go back up the stairs.
“Uh, I can’t. I have to get you guys up to the surface, you shouldn’t have to stay here any longer.” Her stern look slips before it comes back with more determination, “I want you upstairs, now.” You shake your head, “I’m getting you out of here. Whether you like it, or not.” She sighs deeply before pulling you along turns and long hallways before you see the two big doors blocking you from the outer side.
“Fine. Fight me.” She pulls you into an attack before you say anything. You freeze from the shock of the color contrast, “what the-” A fireball flows past your face, “Focus! I want you to survive if you’re going to make it out there.” She’s tense as she scolds you.
You smile, “Toriel, I’m going to get you guys out of here and I’m going to make it out with not a single scratch.” Her stance falters,” What?” You nod and spare her, “I’m going to get you out of here even if it costs my soul.” You walk past her quickly, giving her a pat on the arm, “I’ll see you later.” And with that, you’re out of the double doors leaving a shocked Toriel behind.
---------
The sudden change in temperature leaves you in a shivering state as you continue your journey. The snow falls around you as you stomp your way through it, covering your paths as you go. A few minutes in you hear the sound of a stick breaking behind you. You choose to not turn around and walk faster, your heart rate picking up. The walk is silent after that, nothing but the crunching of snow beneath your feet and the snow falling around you.
You walk until a wide gate stands ahead of you. The bars are far too apart to keep anyone from getting in or out. “Wonder who made this? And why? " you whisper to yourself.
There are a few minutes of silence before there's the crunching of snow again, heavier than your own. You don't turn around, you're not sure if it's out of fear or something else, but you don't.
"Hey, Buddy, don't you know how to greet a new friend?" A deep voice breaks the silence, having stopped moving at the end of its sentence.
You turn around slowly, meeting...eyes(?) With a skeleton. He's shorter than you. You! Omg! His(?) a hand is put out in front of him, but you can't stop staring, there's rarely anyone shorter than you back home. It weirds you out that somehow, no one in your hometown, that isn't a child mind you, is shorter than you. You must've been starting for a while if he's starting to sweat, "Oh! Sorry, yeah. Nice to meet you..?" You don't reach for his hand. His hand slowly falls to his side, "...Sans. Sans the skeleton." He looks at you intently as he introduces himself, " Sorry about the hand thing. I uh, don't know why I didn't take your hand. That was rude. In sorry." You nervously rub your neck. You turn around, face got, " uh anyway, do you know what this gate is for? Seems huge for whatever it needs to be used for. " He walks towards you, the touch crunching of the snow is how you know, " it's to keep humans out, but my brother built it a little too big, so now it just stands there." He shrugs.
You nod, " I can see how someone could miss that. If someone...big...like a giant or something fell through I think it would stop them, a human child? Not so much."
You see him look at you from the corner of his socket, " ...yea. Anyway, are you going to go through it? Or stand here all day?" He asks, gesturing to the weirdly snowy underground. You shake your head, "I feel like I should wait for my friend. I'm not sure if he's here or not. " Sans looks at you skeptically, " Who's your friend?" You shrug, " A talking flower. He wants me to help you guys out of here. So I'm going to. I promise." He freezes for a moment, one so small you could've missed it.
"You think he's coming?" You shake your head, "He says most monsters don't like him, so if I'm with you I doubt it." You shrug and walk through the overly wide gates, " So, where do I go from here, Sans?" He points forward, following the path.
"Oh and I forgot to tell you." He says after a few minutes of walking as you come up to a sentry station, " my brother is a human hunting fanatic. So you should hide behind that lamp for a bit while he comes." And if on cue, you could hear the fastly approaching footsteps as they come closer.
You hide behind the lamp without a second thought.
Another skeleton approaches Sans, taller than the both of you. like, really tall. wow. That's something. He's lanky and has a red scarf that flows in the nonexistent winds. "SANS!" you jump at the loud voice. "IT HAS BEEN EIGHT DAYS SINCE YOU HAVE LAST RECALIBRATED YOUR PUZZLES!" Papyrus, ignorant of the human hiding nearby, continues to berate Sans for not recalibrating his puzzles. Sans defends himself by a skele-ton of awful puns. you have to stop yourself from snickering loudly. Papyrus leaves not long after going on. a long tirade about wanting to be famous. He's pretty cool.