The ninja raced after him as he pelted down the hall, calling out Kai's name.

"Kai!"

"Kai!"

"Kai, where are you?"

Jay suddenly skidded to a halt and peered down the hall. "Over here!" he shouted at the others.

They all halted and whipped around, spotting a flash of red farther down the hall.

"Kai!" Garmadon gasped.

They found the red ninja lying unmoving on the ground, his elemental sword lying beside him. The other ninja knelt beside him and let out a sigh of relief as they saw that he was still breathing.

Nya gently rolled her brother over until he was lying on his back. She shook the red ninja. "Kai!" she called. "Wake up, Kai!"

Kai didn't respond.

But the ninja couldn't help but feel relieved.

"It's a wonder he's still alive," Garmadon breathed.

Wu's gaze fell on the elemental sword beside him. "He risked his life to save it," he murmured thoughtfully.

Cole let out a soft laugh. "He did it," he said. "He didn't let Lloyd take the last weapon."

Before anything else could be said, Kai shifted. Everyone's gazes snapped toward him as he blinked open his eyes. He rubbed his head and looked up at everyone.

"Did... Did I win?" he rasped.

Wu breathed a sigh of relief. "With flying colors," he soothed.

Kai grinned as Nya hugged him. "We're so glad you're alright!" she exclaimed.

Kai laughed as the others gathered around and shared their joy. His gaze fell on his elemental sword. He never thought he would be grateful for his odd power, but he knew it had been that that had saved him. Without it, Lloyd would've beaten him in a heartbeat.

As he pondered this, a thought struck him. Lloyd!

Kai gasped and scrambled to his feet. The ninja watched in surprise as he rushed over to the window. He peered out into the forest, hoping to catch sight of the green ninja. Then his gaze traveled to the forest floor, and, squinting, he made out the limp figure of Lloyd.

Kai's eyes widened. "D-did I... I-is he..."

The others gathered around him.

"What are you talking about?" Garmadon asked.

Kai glanced at the others with horror in his gaze. "I... I..." He backed away from the window. "I have to go do something!"

He whipped around and fled out of the room.

"Wait, Kai!" Wu called, but the red ninja didn't come back.

Cole began to head after Kai. "I'll go get him," he huffed.

* * *

Kai raced down the steps and out the front door, heading for the forest. What have I done? he thought. Did I really just kill my own brother?

Kai went toward where he had seen Lloyd lying on the floor. He peered through the darkness and spotted his dark green clothes. Gasping, the red ninja hurried over and crashed beside Lloyd.

He turned the unconscious ninja over on his back and shook him. "Lloyd!" Kai called desperately. "Wake up!"

He moved the hair out of Lloyd's face and looked down at him sorrowfully. "Please, Lloyd," Kai choked out. "I never meant to hurt you!"

Kai's head snapped up as the bushes rustled in front of him.

"Kai!" a voice called from behind.

Kai looked down again as Lloyd stirred. His breath quickened in hope. He's still alive!

"Kai!" Cole burst from the bushes and came beside the red ninja. "What are you doing out here?"

Kai's gaze snapped in front of him as the leaves rustled again. Cole followed his gaze. "We have to get out of here!" he hissed.

Kai didn't respond as Lloyd's eyes blinked open. His face screwed up as he looked up at Kai. "I..." the green ninja began, "I..."

Kai brought Lloyd closer to him, wrapping his arm around him protectively. "It's okay," he comforted. "I have you now."

Cole nudged Kai as the rustling became closer. "Kai," he murmured more fiercely. "We need to go!"

Kai looked down as Lloyd drew in a shaky breath. He stared up at Kai. "I... I hate you!" he growled.

Kai's eyes widened with shock.

Cole grabbed the red ninja's arm. "That's it, we're leaving," he snapped.

Kai stumbled to his feet as Cole pulled him. "B-but Lloyd!"

"The Baddies are coming!" Cole snarled back, hearing the leaves rustle again.

"What—how do you know?" Kai wailed. "It could be wolves!"

Cole stared at him. "What is wrong with you?" he exclaimed. "Don't you trust me?"

Kai hung his head in defeat as Cole dragged him out of the forest. The black ninja grunted. "Can't you walk?"

But Kai didn't hear him, because his thoughts lay on Lloyd, and what the green ninja had said to him.

* * *

"Lloyd!"

Lloyd heaved himself upward, rubbing his head. Blinking to clear his vision, he heard someone crouch beside him and turned his head to see Ariana.

"There you are!" she exclaimed. "I've been looking all over for you!"

Lloyd heaved himself to his feet. But as soon as he took a step forward, his leg buckled underneath him and his face hit the ground. He gave an irritated hiss.

Ariana grabbed his arm and helped him back to his feet. "What happened to you?"

Lloyd grunted and realized he must've twisted his leg during his awkward fall. "I-I don't understand," he murmured. "Kai was the weakest out of all of them, and yet, he beat me single-handedly." He looked down at his hands and took a deep breath before looking up again. "I have to go back," he stated. "I need that elemental weapon!" He started limping back toward the monastery.

Ariana rolled her eyes and stopped him. "You can't just waltz back in there after what just happened!" she scolded him. "Especially with a bad leg!"

Lloyd opened his mouth to protest, but Ariana cut him off. "You said Kai beat you single-handedly," she went on, "but now all the ninja are back, and you think you can take them all?"

Lloyd gave an exasperated sigh. "I guess you have a point," he muttered.

"Come on." Ariana began leading him back to Baddie Bend. "We'll come back when we have a better plan."

Lloyd reluctantly obeyed, but inside he was dreading the fact of returning to the Baddies as a failure.