Chapter 39

"Sister Balwant has escaped from prison," Bandu informed his sister, who went wide-eyed, "The police are on the lookout for him. He will surely not come here as he knows that the police might trap him here." he added, "They say that he was ill in prison and was under treatment when he escaped."

"Maan- how do you know all this?" she asked puzzled, and Bandu disclosed about how he happened to be involuntarily involved in the murder case masterminded by both Rana and Balwant.

"So now you are his target," Mother said in a depressed tone walking over to the bed to support her tired body.

"I am so sorry, brother,"

"Why are you sorry, sister? you were not responsible for him,"

"We will go with you to Goriyon. I am sure my husband will not harm you if he comes to know that you are my brother," Sukhi said.

"Where huge money is involved, relations guarantee no security, dear sister. And especially when they assign a crime to you, there is even more pressure to complete it," Bandu reminded her, but it did not deter her from her decision.

"He will have to face me first before he harms you. Come, let us leave today itself. I have more hopes of seeing him at Goriyon than here," Sukhi said with determination in her voice.

"I thank, god that at least he returned you alive, son. And I am sure he will look out for you again, Maan," Mother said in her bleak voice.

"Yes, mother. Oh!--that reminds me, Nand---Nand, come here quick," Bandu called out to Nand.

When called, Nand appeared quick enough and rather excitedly.

"Nand, you remember the photo frame? I have lost it! And now I don't recollect where I kept it. Do you remember anything?"

Nand now scratched his head and thought. Then his face brightened up, and he snapped his fingers. He gestured to the mirror on the wall.

"That's a mirror...no! Ok, ..., then..., glass!" to which Nand nodded his head excitedly. Next, he made an inverted cone with both hands.

"House...glasshouse?"

"No?" He shook his head. His hands go taller than him.

"Glass building? Oh yes! I remember now! I left the bag in the hospital room down near the sofa. In a hurry, I forgot about it. Thanks, Nand, for your help," Bandu said, dejected.

"In a hospital, why did you go to the hospital, Maan?" mother asked.

"To see one miss Sakhi, mother. I saved her life in a fire at the hospital in Goriyon. She wanted to thank me for it, so I visited her," Bandu replied, his face going all dark.

"You can go back and get it," she said, having no inclination of Bandu's dilemma.

"I will buy a newly framed picture instead," He snapped, trying to brush off the matter.

"You are hiding something from me, aren't you?" his mother asked him.

"But how did you know that?" he asked, surprised and thereby let the cat out of the bag.

"I don't want to go back there, mother." sighed Bandu.

"Why?"

"She will start asking me questions about my studs," Bandu said, indicating to his ears.

"What questions, Maan?"

"She was surprised at seeing my earring and wanted to know if it was mine?"

"What else did she ask?"

"I did not allow her to ask any more questions and walked out the room hurriedly. That's how I forgot about the frame. I feel very uncomfortable talking about myself and my past with anybody,"

"But how does she know about the stone?"

"I don't know that. I did not wait to ask her anything,"

"Mother, what is so special about this stone? It just looks like an ordinary stone anyways," Sukhi asked, inspecting Bandu's studs.

The silence stretched on for a very long time, with both the siblings stealing glances at their mother occasionally. Mother looked lost in her storm of memories. Bandu did not want to disturb the peace that prevailed now and diverted Sukhi's attention to the packing and leaving.

Luggage was minimal as there were only clothes and some valuables. They informed close neighbors that they were leaving for Goriyon for Sukhi's treatment. And will stay in Goriyon until her treatment was complete. It was 2 pm by the time they reached Bali. After having lunch at the eatery outside the depot, they board the bus to Goriyon.

They alight at the junction from where they had to travel further on foot. But after taking a look at their tired faces, Bandu decided to wait along the road to hitch a ride. It was that time of the day when some villagers returned home after their work. After about 10 minutes, he spotted a three-wheeler tempo turning off the main road into the lane. The vehicle came to a halt in front of the waiting family. Bandu recognized Sadhu bhaiya.

"Hello, Bandu,"

"Hello, Sadhu. Mind giving us a ride?"

"Yes, sure, Bandu,"

Bandu helped his mother, then his sister onto the rear with the children. He sat in the front with Sadhu. Bandu then answered all Sadhu's questions about the family. He was happy to hear that Bandu found his family with Nand as his nephew. He even envisioned it to be god's miracle. 

They finally reach home after thanking Sadhu for the ride.