Chapter 14

Two weeks later, Bandu landed in the hospital again, but it was with the sick Nand, who was down with Malaria. Two weeks ago, Bandu was awakened deep into the night by the creaking of the bed beside him. Wanting to stop the continuous squeaks, he unwillingly stirred himself out of bed to switch on the light to find the boy shivering with fever. 

The local doctor had advised hospitalization if the fever did not subside after a day because Nand was showing Malarial symptoms which, could be verified after a blood test. Bandu, as per the doctor's advice, brought Nand to the hospital as his fever had refused to subside. Here he was diagnosed with malaria. Nand was to stay at the hospital for a couple of days, and Bandu closed his shop to take care of him. 

During the stay, to get some fresh air and stretch his limbs, Bandu often took to walking on the hospital's lawn. And on one such occasion, he was caught off guard once again.

"We meet again," a friendly voice startled him.

" Ah! Namaste, Mr. Rajput. You never fail to startle me." greeted Bandu with a smile."What brings you here again? Or whom are you visiting this time?"

"My adopted son is admitted here with a severe fever." the words just popped out of his mouth, surprising himself and Mr. Rajput, who is looking astonished for the first time.

" Adopted son? When did that occur, Bandu? I am sorry, Bandu, for being personal. Your statement just caught me off guard. Please do ignore my bad manners." said Mr. Rajput embarrassed. 

"Oh, that's okay,"

"I never thought you would be married," Mr. Rajput trying to explain.

 "No, no, you got it all wrong," Bandu halting Mr. Rajput's train of thoughts, "I am not married...and I have not legally adopted him...what I meant to say was that he is just staying with me until his legal guardians are found,"

 Bandu paused to find out whether he was able to create an understanding picture of the situation in the individual in front of him.

"Oh," was the only syllable Mr. Rajput uttered, leaving no doubt in Bandu's mind that he had failed, and so that called for the detailed description of the events that took place explaining how he happened to have the custody of the boy Nand. 

"You are such a kind person Bandu. You have done a very noble thing, and I respect you for it. Nand is lucky to have met you rather than finding himself in the clutches of the begging mafia. They would have surely put him to beg on the streets, maiming some part of his body too to gain sympathy." said Mr. Rajput, patting Bandu on his shoulders.

Bandu was feeling awkward by the praise showered on him by Mr. Rajput."How is your sister, sir? Last time I met you, you mentioned that she was here." Bandu asked.

 "The doctor says that she is improving. She had met with an accident a year back and now lies paralyzed," said Mr. Rajput sadly.

Not wanting to venture into a sad family saga, both men seemed eager to change their course of conversation to other general affairs and bid each other goodbye.

Boredom got to both of them in the hospital, like Bandu, Nand, hated the hospital environment and always urged Bandu to take him home. Bandu was very gentle with him cajoling and coaxing him, and finally, after the second day at the hospital, his fever started to subside. 

One day, he took Nand to the hospital garden with the nurse's permission. The sun cheered up the boy, and he enjoyed the sight around him sitting on the bench in the garden while Bandu's eyes were following the police jeep that had then entered the hospital vicinity. Under the curious stares of the people, an inspector followed by some constables made their way into the building. 

Feeling weighed on his right side, he glanced down at Nand leaning heavily on him. he appeared tired and sleepy, so not wasting much time, Bandu carried Nand back to his bed, where he went off to sleep promptly. It was time for the doctor's visit, but he was unusually late that day and Bandu stepped out into the corridor to find answers. 

The absence of any staff made him ascend the third floor to the doctor's cabin. But on finding two constables waiting outside the door, his feet paused in their tracks. He had got the answer and decided to return to wait until the doctor made an appearance. As he turned to leave, he noticed two other constables standing guard outside the Intensive Care Unit and wondered about the situation.

 Just then, he heard someone call his name, and he turned. His eyes met that of inspector Sarathi standing outside the cabin. The officer strode towards Bandu.