Villain: Redux - PT2 - CH11 The Unidentifiable

Villain: Redux

By: Yay Ninja Bob

Part II: Hate & War

Chapter 11

The Unidentifiable

The Townsville Water Tower was located just on the border of Downtown, and from where he sat high up on its metal landing, Mojo had a clear view of much of the mainland. The night felt unnaturally long as he sat underneath the shadow of the water tank and watched the twinkle of the city lights below. It was going to be yet another night of no sleep for him, but Mojo could not rest that night even if he wanted to, or even if he tried. As his oversized brain raced with a million thoughts at once, he felt bound to the shadows which kept him safely hidden. Every time curiosity begged him to move from his hiding place, paranoia kept him locked there. Whether it was the fear of all the unknowns that complicated his predicament, or the close encounter he had just experienced, Mojo felt the need to keep hidden for much of the night. Self preservation was his priority, of course, and so for hours he remained on high alert while his eyes scanned the night sky for signs of pink, blue or green. He had seen the streaks of neon lights flash by once from the west to the east, and then again from east to west some time after, but it had been several hours since he last saw them.

As the lights of the neighborhoods below began to go out for the night, and the glow of the city dimmed, Mojo's paranoia slowly began to subside. It must have been very early into the next morning by then, and he figured even his super powered enemies had to sleep at some point. His eyes drifted upward to a spot on the metal beams directly underneath the water tank above him. Now was his chance to begin his next investigation.

The climb up the sleek metal beamed structure was slippery, but nothing compared to the difficult ascent he had had to make up the tower's ladder. Once he had pulled himself up onto the wide surface of the first beam, with a concentrated balance, Mojo was able to march right up to the tattered, dark backpack that had been wedged underneath the water tank's base and snatch it for himself. Once he had the black bag in hand, he slid back down to the surface below.

Mojo sat down again on the metal floor, unzipped the backpack, and quickly discovered a green alien face which peered back at him from inside. He took the plastic Halloween mask in his hands and held it out before him as his mind flashed back to the first time he had seen the alien face wander into his cell back at the Villains Ward. It was most definitely the same face that stared back at him then. All night his mind had debated whether or not his own eyes had fooled him somehow as he watched the teenager with the unmistakable 'V' shaped facial mark seemingly store away the very evidence that would link the hero to the crime of the decade. But with the confirmation there, literally right in his grasp, there was absolutely no denying it. The alien faced intruder- Princess' lackey- possibly the most wanted outlaw other than Mojo himself- was none other than Buttercup.

As he stared into the empty eye sockets of the blank faced disguise, a devious grin slowly began to sweep Mojo's face. The very identity that was still a mystery to everyone else in Townsville, he had managed to uncover. At last, Mojo felt as if he held something that could turn his fate around for the better. The very idea of having a piece of knowledge that nobody else possessed was enough to empower the villain for the first time in years. His mind raced with an endless stream of possibilities- it was only a matter of narrowing down those possibilities to the best way he could weaponize this new vital piece of information.

Knowledge was power, and having power over his enemies would be key to his survival. However, Mojo knew that even with this newfound advantage, there was still much he did not know. Clearly from what he had witnessed earlier, the green Puff had managed to fool everyone, and was secretly living some sort of double-life. However, what were the true motivations behind this? From his previous night's research, Mojo had discovered a sea of mystery surrounding the green Powerpuff, and now things had just gotten all the more curious. In order to proceed, he would need more answers, and as he held the alien mask in his hands, he knew he held the key to finding those answers.