Chapter 28: First Contact

Terra,
Border town of Iberia and Laterano.

The surroundings of the town of Constantine went from a dull, forgotten land to a full blown military camp. Tents and other structures are being set up on the grassy fields, as tons of soldiers from Iberia and Laterano got to work. Though the Iberians was annoyed by the fact that their neighbor was in their land, they are still glad to receive some help.

With how the stories from the thirty or so soldiers that returned from beyond the portal, it's safe to say that guns are the best choice on dealing with what the other side has to offer. Given that most of them are armed with bows, crossbows and swords, they wouldn't stand a chance if ever they have a match with the corrupted. That's why they left the defense to the Sanktas. Rows and rows of barricades, trenches and obstacles have been set up in a semi-circle arc in front of the alien structure. They all aimed their guns at the door, ready to blow the corrupted if they get in.

In one of the temporary tents not far from the portal, a meeting is being held. Two Rhodes Island operators are standing at the doorway, guarding the room for any eavesdropper. A white board filled with strings and names is situated in the middle, for all of them to see. Kalt'sit was busy studying their newfound information, thanks to the girl standing in the middle of the table.

"Are you sure you're supposed to disclose such detailed information to us?" Doctor Ikura asked as she examined a folder. They quickly printed it so it was easier to read.

Iris just shrugged her shoulders and sat on the ground. "I don't see what's wrong about it. Lee told me that I have my own mind and consciousness, even if I'm not human. I told you all I know because it's the most plausible choice right now." she replied and stared at the compiled reports on the board. The others stared at her with curiosity, even though she had explained to them in detail how she was created.

"So Iris," Kalt'sit called out to her and pointed at the board, "this place called Babylonia... it's suspended in space? And it's where the remaining humans are living?"

Iya hummed in response. "Yes, technically, Babylonia is the safest place to live in, since it's away from the ground. There are many other pockets of civilization left on Earth. Some of them are large remnants of the old world's governments." Others murmured on how was that possible, and a chorus of whispers can be heard from the room. She cleared her throat, garnering everyone's attention.

"Lee knows a lot. All information I've gave to you came from him, his knowledge and experience. As you may know, he was affiliated with Babylonia, serving as a construct. Based on the files, he went missing 7 years ago after stumbling on that portal. It was a forgotten project from the post golden age of humanity, aimed at 'warping' people on other habitable planets before the pandemic struck. It was abandoned after the outbreak, and was left in a state of disrepair." Iya said and leaned on the invisible railing of her holographic world. "And as for the available records pertaining Babylonia, humans and constructs, you can just skim through it. Though I suggest you learn what the different types of corrupted are. I feel like something might happen in the near future." She added, making the others look concerned. Kalt'sit shushed the group as she continued studying the data.

"...so there's no cure, or any other way to treat the Punishing Virus?" The lynx lady asked as she set the folder aside. Iya shook her head repeatedly, earning a sigh from Kalt'sit. They went on to discuss other important things they could find on the data files. They also took note of the fact that guns are widely used on earth before and after the outbreak.

Doctor Ikura raised a piece of paper, a blue print of a glock-18 printed on it. She examined it like a child being given a Christmas present. "Whoa...so you don't need arts to fire a 'gun'. What's do you use then? This 'gunpowder' thing?" she puts the blue print down and interlocks her fingers, facing Iris with curiosity.