Author Q & A

S = Suggestion

C = Change

Q = Question

T = Thought

R = Response

A = Answer

Reviewer #1

Q: Could you try to give a little bit less sad scenes?

A: Absolutely! This was the first draft, so it was a bit rushed. The final draft will be MUCH longer with more happiness. Though none of the sad scenes will be extracted, Lakshmi will gain happiness here and there.

Reviewer #2

S: Hmm, I'd love a couple more happy moments in the midst of all the sad moments. Love the Ganesh-Lakshmi bond though!

R:

See answer above

Thank you! Ganesh came out sooo much cuter than I expected.

T: Well, one thing that draws me to this book is the grey characterization of all the characters. You don't whitewash the protagonists, like most people do, but acknowledge their flaws and I love it for that. And your writing has such a way of drawing me in! Your description--perfect!

R: Aww, thanks! I tried to not whitewash them and I'm glad I succeeded! So many people have been telling me my descriptions are good... I honestly have no idea how I improved so much, last year my writing was absolute trash!

Q: Could you describe your writing journey?

A: For just 'Devi Lakshmi'? Or my writing journey all together? If it's just for Devi Lakshmi, I wouldn't really say there was much of a journey. I poured out my love for Mata Lakshmi in the first chapter and then let it develop further as they went on. I already knew I was in love with her when I started, but somehow I fell even more in love as I wrote this. For me this was less of a biography and more of a love letter.

However, if you're wondering about my writing journey all together, we'll start from when I was young. I pretty much always wanted to be an author. Even before my writing could even be considered decent, it was what I wanted to do with my life. The idea of conveying my thoughts and views to the world in such a tangible way, something that would outlast even me, was very attractive. I think that's what really drew me in, before I even knew why I wanted to be an author. As I grew older, I wrote from time to time, usually fantasy, mostly including magic. When I first hit sixth grade, that was when I first tried writing a novel. My English teacher told me how good I was, so I continued. That didn't really end well. My eighth grade English teacher was the most supportive out of my teachers. She would continuously encourage me to pursue publishing and eagerly read whatever I wrote. But the problem was, I grew easily bored of all my stories, never having the motivation to finish them. When I wrote 'Devi Lakshmi' though, I was writing my feelings down, and I couldn't stop. I wanted to tell her how much I cared for her, I wanted to tell the world how great my Mata was, I wanted to prove to her that I would do anything I could for her. I'd say it was this drive and passion that really led me to finishing a book that I was willing to continue.

Q:How long have you been writing?

A: I first started writing when I was six. It was a terrible story, but looking back, I was very proud of it at the time. I'd just written a descriptive paragraph in school and was determined to finish the story, so I came home, sat down, and finished it. Simple as that.