𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕾𝖎𝖝𝖙𝖞 𝕹𝖎𝖓𝖊

Lakshmi awoke to find Vishnu's hand cupping the side of her face to catch any falling tears. His other arm was draped over her, fingers entangled in her hair. She smiled, before fear seized her heart. What if she lost him too? She had lost nearly her entire family... What if he left over her inability to keep their family together?

His eyes fluttered open, and he looked at her worried face, letting out a tired chuckle.

Lakshmi's dread multiplied until it completely engulfed her. What was he laughing about? Was there something on her face? What if he didn't think she was pretty to look at anymore? What if since she was no longer pleasing to his eyes, he was ready to take another woman into his arms? What if he already had?

That answer made sense to Lakshmi's terror filled mind. Her cracking sanity and own insecurities pushed away any rational thinking, bringing her to doubt the one who had always been by her side and protected her at all costs.

Why would he laugh like that if he wasn't going behind her back? There had to be something he was hiding from her. Was he going to remarry because she couldn't get their children to stay? Maybe he thought she was a bad mother?

The thought of Vishnu taking a second wife made Lakshmi want to rip her hair out. She wanted Vishnu all to herself, not able to accept that his gaze might be straying. But she couldn't stop him from getting a second wife... Could she? No, she couldn't. Why would he need to ask her permission? Unless he died, there was no guarantee that he would stay with her.

Lakshmi's twisted thoughts blinded her to the truth, and she quickly decided she would rather live as a widow than watch him love someone else.

"Are you considering getting a second wife?" Lakshmi said, not even realizing what she was about to say. "Well don't even think about it, because I curse you to be headless!"

Instantly, Vishnu's smile was wiped off his face as Lakshmi's words rang clear through the vast space of Vaikuntham. Her hand flew to her mouth as tears made their way down her face. What had she done? Had she really denied her husband his life and happiness because of her own selfish desires? So what if he wanted a second wife? She should have thought about what would bring him joy, not caring for her own satisfaction.

Vishnu, on the other hand, seemed less concerned of the curse she delivered, and more concerned about her well-being. Taking her into his arms, he stroked her hair, letting her sob on his chest. Once her loud wailing had subdued to slight sniffling and hiccups, he finally spoke.

"Did you honestly think I would replace you, Jeevitha? Now, tell me, why would I do that? I have the prettiest, smartest, kindest, most wonderful girl as my wife. Why would I want anyone else? I mean, look at you! You're so beautiful, you could put the Apsaras to shame, but you choose not to, putting everyone else before you. Even if the whole world disgraced you, you would continue to shower your blessings upon them. You're brave and strong: You never bow your head when you sit beside me, but hold it high and proud, establishing your status and importance whether others choose to notice it or not. I couldn't want anyone else if I tried, Lakshmi. How can I, when perfection herself has chosen to be with me?"

He took her hands in his, staring into her eyes earnestly.

"Lakshmi, you represent the aspect of the world that is life. My duty is, has been, and always will be to ensure your safety."

Guilt clawed at her heart. Hearing that from his lips, made her terribly aware of what a big mistake she made. Now he would leave her because of her own doing. Where had she gone wrong?

"I will never leave you." Vishnu promised. "I'll find a way back to you no matter what happens, I swear."

Now that all her confusion had been cleared, Lakshmi's trust in him had been restored. She trusted him to keep his word.

Vishnu didn't hold anything against her. He understood that the loss of five of her children had destroyed much of her logical thinking, leaving her raw and vulnerable. She had been paranoid with fear that he would leave as well.

"Tell me what you want, Jaani, and I'll be sure to fulfill it." he said, trying to make her happy.

Lakshmi pondered what he said, before she remembered Bhauma. She couldn't let him die as well.

"Anything?" she questioned, and he nodded firmly. "In that case, make our son, Bhauma, the most powerful being in all the three worlds. Make his life and reign long. If you can grant these, then my mind will be at ease."

Vishnu had a bad feeling about this, but nevertheless, he called in his son and granted him what she had asked of him to appease his wife.

Lakshmi grinned, knowing now that no harm would come to her son.

Bhauma looked stunned by his father's blessing while Bana stood next to him, his sinister smile growing by the second. The glint in the eyes of his son's friend worried Vishnu, but he kept his cool. Not allowing anyone to see his discomfort.

Maybe if he had told the others that day, a lot could have been prevented.

---

Many decades passed, and it didn't take long before Bana swayed Bhauma's thoughts and convinced him to seek a boon from Brahma that only his mother could kill him. Thinking this would only add to his protection, Lakshmi allowed it, desperate to keep him by her side.

She was so blinded by her love that she didn't even see what Bana's words were doing to her son's mind, twisting his sweet soul to be just like him. Not until he approached her with a peculiar wish.

"Amma, I-I wish to marry someone." he said, and her face brightened.

Swiveling around, she gave him a brilliant smile, ecstatic to hear who the woman was.

"Well? Who is it?"

"Devi Kamakhya." he admitted, and Lakshmi's blood ran cold.

Kamakhya was one of the fifty two parts of Sati that fell to the earth, making her the rightful consort of Shiva. As much as she wished to make her son happy, Lakshmi knew the goddess would never agree to marry him.

"Bhauma, you can pick anyone else but her. Her heart already belongs to someone else."

"I don't want anyone else!" he snapped. "And I will have her."

"It's not right to marry a woman without her consent," Lakshmi said softly. "It strips them of their freedom and-"

"DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!" he roared as he grabbed her arm sharply.

Pain flared up her body as his grip tightened. At that moment she felt small and vulnerable. She could look Kali in the eye and keep her calm, but what was she to do when her own son treated her like a stranger?

Drops of blood slid down her skin from where his nails dug into her skin.

"Bhauma..." she whispered.

"It's not Bhauma," he spat. "It's Narakasura."

A/N Oh dear... I know what you're all thinking... "NOT BHAUMA TOO! HOW COULD YOU! I HATE YOU, ISHA!"

*Cringes* I know, I know, I'm sorry! I really didn't want this to happen either... And let's not forget how Lakshmi cursed Vishnu... Our poor Mata and Pitashree. I really need to have a talk with Niyati about what she has in store for them. But Vishnu's speech... "When perfection herself has chosen to be with me..."

I love it! I'm really proud of it, and authors almost never feel like their work is good enough. It's moments like this where I find myself thinking Mata is writing her story through me. If she is, I'd be so honored. But she gives each and every one of her truly devoted children that oppurtunity... So keep writing all of you!