𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕾𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓

Predictably, Lakshmi got lost upon trying to return to the living room. Holding a plate of steaming samosas (indian savory food), jangris (indian sweet) oozing liquid sugar, small cups of delectable gulab jamuns (indian sweet), and hot tea, she assumed she looked quite ridiculous scurrying through the halls like a madman.

"Just work with me." she pleaded, the magnificent walls of Vaikuntham looming over her, seemingly watching her like predators would prey.

"Fine. Go ahead, laugh. I have to reach there eventually." she huffed.

She was wrong. Every Time she walked three feet, she could've sworn she ended up in the same place. She'd seen that painting of peacock feathers and lotuses about twenty times now.

"Did you get lost, Priye?" she heard Vishnu's voice say behind her.

"No." she said quickly, not yet turning around.

His feet padded softly towards her, and his fingers gently touched her wrist, the cold gems studding her bangles pressing against his skin.

"Now come on, you don't want to be stuck here forever." he noted, pulling her along.

Upon reentering the room, Surya smiled thankfully at her when she set down the tray of food. Saranyu reached for a samosa, biting into it tentatively, while Chaaya quickly dug into the gulab jamun.

"This is really good." Surya observed, popping a bright orange jangri in his mouth. "You have gifted hands."

Lakshmi flushed at the compliment, as Saranyu nodded her head and Chaaya agreed enthusiastically.

"Well that's a relief." Vishnu said in an overly exaggerated voice. "At least I won't disappoint Sati with my dismal cooking next time she comes over."

The people in the room laughed, and Lakshmi felt an odd sense of elation. When people came over to see her in Asuraloka, there was no laughter or smiles. If there was, it was soft, lust-filled chuckles and malicious sneers that were colder than winter nights. Nothing as genuine and innocent as the sound that echoed through the area right now.

"We should get going." Surya said, standing up. His queen followed close behind him.

"Of course." Vishnu replied, getting up as well. "I will see you to the door. Do come again soon, Surya, it is always a pleasure to have you over."

The Lord of the Sun gave a curt nod. "Will do."

Lakshmi offered a gracious smile to her guests as Saranyu and Chaaya encouraged her to visit their abode some day.

"You simply must come." Saranyu insisted. "You'd be dazzled by its wonders!"

"She's not wrong." agreed Chaaya. "We would love to have you over. Will you accept our offer?"

"I will try to visit in the near future." Lakshmi promised. "I look forward to seeing you again."

"As do we." the two replied in unison.

Watching their retreating figures, happiness bloomed on Lakshmi's face as she sensed a bright future ahead. And yet, as the sun rose and illuminated the Home of the Asuras in the distance, she felt that sense of dread return. Surely, Bali would have noticed that she was missing, it had been months since he'd asked her to marry him. But if so, then why had he not yet come?

"Lakshmi?" Vishnu prodded, concern lacing his voice, soothing her heart like a calming melody. "Is everything alright?"

With great difficulty, she drew her eyes away from the land in the distance, forcing a smile onto her face as she turned to face him.

"Everything's fine, why wouldn't it be?" she said, glancing back at the dark towers visible in the distance.

Following her gaze, a look of grim understanding passed over his face, sturdy hands grasping her shoulders tighter.

"Lakshmi," he said, speaking her name like a prayer. "Rama (The Attractive One/Another name of Lakshmi). Jaani, focus on that no longer. Why don't I begin your lesson now, hm? Would you like that, Priyatama (dearest)?"

Lakshmi knew he was trying to draw her attention away from her former home, but decided not to tell him.

"If it's of no trouble to you."

"Never, Jeevita (my life), now come, let us get started."

It took every last drop of Lakshmi's rapidly receding determination to not look back.

---

Lakshmi stared, mesmerized, as Vishnu's slender fingers dragged the paintbrush deftly, with such ease, streaks of color slowly covering the page. It depicted a man, clothed in royal clothing yet demons with elongated fangs, large bellies, and sunken cheeks bearing resemblance to him, clung to his legs, ropes of blood wrapping around his neck. And yet, he smiled through it all, arms raised in triumph.

Finishing the final stroke, he gazed at it with sadness, before moving to hang it with the other portraits in the hall. She noted how they were nearly all as horrifying and majestic as the one he had just finished. It left her in awe and yet she couldn't shake the feeling of pity that engulfed her.

"Swami, why did you draw such a happy, successful man being weighed down by demons? And why does he not feel it?"

"Priye, this is the Hall of Karma and Maya. Each portrait here represents the life of a man and the consequences they will have to face. Your wrong deeds from your past lives can carry over into your current one, and yet they will remain oblivious through it all."

Lakshmi felt shocked upon hearing his answer.

"But Swami, isn't that cruel? Why should we condemn someone when they do not even remember their wrongdoings? If you are the Protector of the Universe, how can you curse everyone like this?"

He laughed, attempting to disguise the longing and pain.

"Curse? Jeevita, this is a blessing. When humans face problems they do not realize are caused by Karma, they blame it on bad luck or grow angry at the gods. But we are immortal. Misdeeds are burdens for us. We face the consequences, same as humans, but unlike them we know the cause and must live with that regret, trying to delay the inevitable events. But humans experience Maya, or illusion. With no memory of their past lives, they can not feel the same guilt we do upon misfortune. Grief and anger are strong emotions, but nothing can rival guilt. It is a fear that plagues us immortals everyday, dreading the day we should commit a wrong."

He bowed his head, and she reached out to squeeze his hand reassuringly. It didn't matter that he was an all-powerful being, he still felt insecurity and a lack of confidence, same as anyone else.

He gripped her back as though his life depended on it.

"If I mess up, you would be affected as well, Maahi (love), I can not let that happen."

"I know you won't." she said simply. "You wouldn't hurt me."

"Not on purpose." he muttered. "Either way, enough of that. I grant you control of these next four halls: Moksha (Liberation From Cycle Of Rebirth), Dharma (Spiritual Law), Artha (Wealth), and Kama (Desire)."

The lotus Lakshmi had tucked behind her ear earlier today, bloomed upon hearing his voice.

Bringing her to the first hall, Lakshmi found herself face to face with a bare, empty passageway that seemed to never end.

"Decorate it how you see fit." he whispered close to her ear, before leaving her.

Lakshmi thought about the paintings that had represented the inner demons of men in the Hall of Karma and Maya, pondering how to best show Moksha. After much thought an idea struck her and she brought her hands together, slowly crafting a mirror.