𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

The months after Sati's death passed sorrowfully. Shiva barely ever left Kailash, instead choosing to spend his days holed up in the mountains. Lakshmi went up there every day, just to check if he was breathing, often bringing meals and sweets with her.

"Why do you do this?" he asked on one particular morning when Lakshmi was serving him food.

Lakshmi smiled at him, placing more rice on his plate.

"Because I think you need someone to be there for you. That's all anyone really ever needs." she explained, pouring butter milk over the rice.

Shiva never once took his eyes off her.

"Like a sister?"

"Well, you've already got one of those, and I certainly won't be your wife... I suppose I plan on spoiling you. Like a mother. You've never had one of those, have you?"

Shiva shook his head, and Lakshmi clapped her hands together.

"Well, now you do! Oh, I've always wanted to be a mother!" she exclaimed happily.

"Have you ever voiced your wish to Vishnu?"he questioned once he had swallowed.

Lakshmi blushed profoundly.

"No, not quite."

"You should."

Lakshmi seemed to consider it, before shaking herself out of her thoughts.

"Either way, this is about you! Now, as a mother, it is my duty to spoil you rotten and make sure you're eating properly. Especially the second one, honestly, all that meditation you do can't be good for you."

"When absorbed in devotion, all else becomes insignificant to the soul." Shiva clarified.

Lakshmi continued to fuss over him, insisting she comb his hair and clean the area as well.

"You honestly don't have to put yourself through this." he said, as she tried to untangle his coarse locks.

She shushed him, before groaning in frustration.

"Do you ever run a comb through your hair?!" she cried, exasperated.

Shiva let out a low chuckle.

"Well, not all of us are as concerned with their 'spectacular hair' as your husband." he said, making air quotes with his fingers.

"He is usually a bit preoccupied with that." Lakshmi admitted. "But at least that saves me the trouble of getting my fingers stuck in his hair."

The unmistakable sound of the comb snapping filled the air.

"Are you being serious right now?!" Lakshmi screamed, holding up the two broken halves. "Well, clearly this is a lost cause. We'll get back to it later."

Shiva watched fondly as Lakshmi flitted from place to place, feet gliding across the rocky ground of Kailash.

When Vishnu came to pick her up a while later, he saw her affectionately feeding sweets to him, and talking rapidly about something or other.

"Lakshmi, are you ready to go home now?" he asked.

Hearing his voice, Lakshmi practically threw herself at him, fingers playing with the ends of his hair.

"I'm never going to complain about your endless hair routines again." she said, before mock-pouting, jutting her bottom lip out. "He broke my favorite comb."

"Oh, Jeevita, do not worry. I will make you a comb a thousand times more beautiful."

Lakshmi grinned, and grabbed his hand.