𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞

"Your gatekeepers refuse to let me in. Could you tell them that I'm not a demon?" she snarled.

Lakshmi's eyes were wide, taking in her appearance.

"You look... Different." she said.

She did. Noticeably so. Her body was thinner, and it looked as though skin had been draped over her bones. Her sari and blouse were tattered and ragged, any jewelry she might have once worn broken. As she walked towards her, Lakshmi noticed she carried a limp, her movements weak and feeble.

"And who's fault do you think that was?" she snarled. "After all, who would worship the goddess of Misfortune? They all want you, but no one wants me! They call me Alakshmi (opposite of Lakshmi) now! I couldn't even get married because everyone was so captivated by your looks! And then you stole away the man I loved!"

"Don't talk to our mother like that!" Vijayan fumed, raising his spear.

Lakshmi lifted a hand to stop him.

She was beside herself with guilt upon seeing how broken her sister looked. She'd always been bitter and spiteful, but never before had she seen her look so neglected. Their father had always treated all his children equally, regardless of who they were, or what they looked like.

"All I wanted was him..." Nritti whispered, voice trembling.

Jayan gripped his sword.

"That's it. Get out of here, I can't listen to your lies any longer. Amma, don't listen to her, it's obvious she just wants to ruin your life."

"Why not?" Nritti snorted. "She ruined mine. Here she is, living happily with everything she could ever dream of, getting married in a few months time, whereas I am wandering the world alone, scorned from every home and temple, not even a mangalsutra around my neck to call my own."

"I'll speak to Vishnu about it, alright?!" she blurted out, regret eating at her. "Now, I-I have to go. I'll tell you later. For right now, just... Leave. I want some time alone."

Lakshmi locked the doors behind her, sinking to the floor. Her thoughts were spiraling in her mind, as the only solution she could think of haunted her.

"Lakshmi?" Vishnu questioned, materializing before her.

She quickly wiped away her tears as he sat down next to her.

"What happened? Jayan and Vijayan told me your sister was here. Was it something she said that bothered you?"

She nodded, and when he moved to comfort her, she quickly pushed him away, trying to avoid the hurt and shock that filled his eyes.

"I... Can't marry you again. Not yet."

His eyes widened and she could practically feel his heart breaking through their connection. It felt as though something made of glass had shattered, edges cutting into every part of her.

"What do you mean?"

"Nritti Akka's the elder one." she informed him. "By tradition, she should get married before I can."

Vishnu's face was forlorn.

"But no one wishes to marry her. Certain exceptions can be made. If a suitable husband can not be found for the older sister, then the younger one marrying before is allowed in every way."

Lakshmi knew she shouldn't threaten him, she knew it was wrong, but she was so blinded with desperation for her sister's happiness that she could stop the words that flew out of her mouth next.

"If no one will take her as a wife, then you will. Either you find her a husband, or you marry her. I will not marry you any other way."

She stood up, turning away from him.

"Lakshmi, please, don't ask this of me." he pleaded. "I could never marry anyone else."

Lakshmi glanced back at him with soft eyes.

"Then find a man who will accept her. Do so, and I will happily wed you. If not, I'm afraid you may never see your Mahalakshmi smile again." she said, her eyes mirroring his own tear-filled ones.

"If that's what you want, then so be it. Your sister's marriage will be fixed by the end of today, I guarantee you." he said dully, his usual cheeriness gone.

Lakshmi brightened instantly.

"Thank you! Now, do you want lunch?" she asked, already hurrying off to the kitchen. "I made-"

"I'm not hungry." he interrupted. "If you don't mind, I'd better get looking to find the perfect man for Nritti."

He barely even looked at her as he turned to leave, making Lakshmi wonder whether she had gone too far.

"I love you." she called.

"I know." he replied. "Goodbye, Lakshmi."

Lakshmi's heart thundered as the dark waters of Vaikuntham swirled at her feet, the lotus in her hand losing its celestial glow. If things were normal between them, he'd have said it back or teased her, boasting about his ability to make girls fall for him. But there was none of that. His voice had remained monotonous, an endless void of emptiness.

"Come home soon." she murmured, waiting for the reassurance that he would.

It never came. Instead, he left without a word, leaving her to wonder whether her sister's happiness was really worth the sacrifice of her own. The sad part was, the answer was always yes. As much as she wished to be selfish and run after him, tell him to come back and stay with her, she let him go. Her sister needed this. She'd have to put her own desires aside.

Adiseshan's tail caressed her face, wiping away tears she hadn't realized were sliding down her cheeks.

"Don't cry, Amma." he said.

"I shouldn't have asked him for something like that." Lakshmi wailed. "What if no one agrees? Akka will remain unhappy, and I'll have ruined his and my joy along with it."

"No." Adiseshan comforted firmly. "Prabhu succeeds in whatever he intends. Just like the combined form of you, Saraswati Devi, and Parvati Devi, as well as the infinite form of Lord Shiva, he is an aspect of Parabrahman himself. There is nothing he can't do. Have faith in him."

His words brought strength back to her frail resolve and she straightened herself up. Even if he was mad at her, she loved him, and he loved her. And Adiseshan knew him as well as anyone. If he claimed he could do it, then she believed him.

She just didn't know how long it would take.

A/N *Panic, panic, panic* GUYSSSSS! THIS BOOK IS NOW #1 IN LAKSHMI, I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW HAPPY I AM!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MAKING THIS HAPPEN, I COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU.

*Hugs everyone*