𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕱𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖞 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖗

Indra shot up from his throne hearing his daughter's request. If anything, the grin on Vishnu's face only grew.

Shukracharya looked absolutely stunned at her request. Jayanti turned back to meet his eyes.

"I understand if you don't want to." she said. "I never expected you to like me, I just had to voice my thoughts, and-"

"I would have." he interrupted. "But you're Lord Indra's daughter and I'm an Asura. It simply wouldn't work, nor would your father ever approve."

She looked overjoyed that he liked her back, and she nodded.

"I know. I don't ask for much. Just ten years. Then we can go back to pretending we never knew each other. You can return to the Asuras and I will return to Devaloka. But just ten years." she begged. "That's enough for me."

He seemed doubtful, clearly afraid she would have to suffer her father's wrath. Finally, looking at the desperation and sincerity in her eyes, he gave in.

"Alright. Ten years, and then we can go our own ways. But won't your parents object to the marriage?" he asked, as she stepped into his embrace.

Indra couldn't take it any longer, and transported himself to the scene, followed by Sachi, Lakshmi, Vishnu, and Ganga.

Thunder echoed in the sky, alerting the both of them to his arrival. But neither one noticed. Indra's fury was mounting when Jayanti was unable to hear the loud noise. He then called upon Vajra, his divine weapon, and summoned lightning, but still she didn't move.

"Jayanti!" Indra roared. "What is the meaning of this?!"

Shukra and Jayanti jumped apart, and the latter cowered a bit seeing her father's furious face.

"You will NOT marry an Asura." he spat.

Lakshmi had strange flashbacks to when her own father, Bhrigu, had forbidden her from marrying Vishnu.

Shukra looked helplessly at his sister, carefully avoiding his brother-in-law's gaze, which only infuriated Lakshmi although she tried to remain calm. He silently pleaded for her help, and she nodded.

"Indra, maybe you should give her a chance. See her point of view-"

"Don't teach me how to handle my daughter, Devi Lakshmi." Indra said, his eyes holding storms of their own.

"Appa, you have to listen-"

"Enough!" Indra commanded, grabbing her hand. "Clearly, being near him has affected your mind. Com now, Jayanti, I'm sure the Ashwin twins can fix you right up. Clear out whatever is going on in your head."

Lakshmi knew how Indra must feel. No man wanted to lose their daughter to the opposite side, and Indra was worried that if he let Jayanti go, she might never return to him. And it wasn't like he could accept Shukra as his family... Not while he was the king. Even if he allowed it, the others might never be able to see him the same nor give him the same level of respect.

"Appa, stop!" she cried, wrenching her hand away from his. "I'm marrying him whether I have your consent or not!"

"Fine!" he screamed back. "But don't expect me to show up at the wedding!"

Sachi looked heartbroken.

"Swami, wait!" she said, causing Indra to shift his attention to her. "It's our daughter, we can't miss such an important day."

Lakshmi knew Sachi had envisioned a grand wedding for Jayanti, and was devastated that she wouldn't be able to see her get married.

"If she would rather leave her parents for a demon, then I don't see why she needs us there." he snarled, glaring back at her. "But let's see exactly who will show up at the wedding when none of the Devas will be willing to come."

Lakshmi knew Shukra would never invite her, seeing as that would mean having to invite Vishnu as well. That was alright, she knew he wished he could. Vishnu frowned, reading her thoughts.

"I'm sorry." Vishnu said, causing Lakshmi to jump and mock-glare at him.

"Could you stop invading my mind?" she said. "But honestly, it's okay."

Jayanti stepped away from her father, disgust and hurt evident in her eyes.

"Fine then! We will be married before the Asuras, and I guarantee I won't invite you or Amma!"

Sachi cried out for her daughter, but she marched away, Shukracharya close on her heels. Indra approached his wife, but she pushed him away, screaming curses to the wind. Indra said nothing, letting her scream and yell at him all she wanted. Finally, she broke down in tears while Lakshmi did her best to soothe her, while Ganga hugged her aunt comfortingly.

Lakshmi knew what it was like to lose a child you had raised with so much love in a matter of seconds. The pain was unimaginable.

"It's only for ten years." Lakshmi said, "Then Jayanti will come back to you."

"I want her back now!" she wailed. "Why do I have to wait for so long! I don't care if she married an Asura, I would have gone to her wedding either way!"

"Don't cry, Auntie." Ganga said softly. "It's not your fault."

She attempted to give her a weak smile.

"I'm being silly, aren't I? At least I'll get her back, not like..." she left her sentence unfinished, but her meaning was clear.

Lakshmi turned her head, unwilling to let Ganga see the tears in her eyes. It might have been years, but the pain was still fresh, as though it had only been yesterday. Sometimes, she still couldn't wrap her mind around the fact that he was really gone.

She attempted to comfort herself with the reminder that he would be born to her again, but it would only happen in the Dwapara Yuga. Lakshmi didn't know if she could wait that long.

Shaking herself out of her thoughts, she helped Sachi to her feet, leading her back to Indraloka.

"Will it be okay?" Sachi asked. "Eventually?"

"No." Lakshmi confessed.

"Does it at least get better?"

Lakshmi wished she could say yes, but she couldn't lie to her friend.

"It doesn't. After a while, you just... Learn to live with it."

A/N LAST CHAPTER OF PART FOUR SO YOU GET A DOUBLE UPDATE!

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?