𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕾𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞 𝕿𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖊

When Muruga finally returned, everyone was overjoyed, and it was clear that the young man was more than happy to be back with his family. Still, his eyes searched the area, seeming to seek someone out.

Parvati's lips curved into a smile at seeing the restless look on her son's face.

"If you're looking for Devayanai, she was praying for you until your return."

"She was?" he asked, a smile blooming on his face.

Sachi and Parvati both chuckled at his excitement.

"Yes, she was." the Queen of IndraLoka confirmed. "I can take you to her if you wish."

Muruga nodded and everyone headed off to the forests where Devayanai had sculpted a statue of the Son of Shiva and had her eyes closed in devotion.

"Putri (Daughter)," Sachi said, touching her shoulder. "Look who's come back home."

Her long lashes fluttered open to reveal large and round eyes, her chestnut skin glowing as though it had been kissed by the sun. Seeing Muruga, her rosewood lips parting to reveal two rows of pearly teeth that graced him with the most wonderful smile.

The two stared at each other for a bit, before Indra broke the silence.

"SenaPati Karthikeya, I would like to offer my sincerest thanks for killing that vile demon. And to repay you, I would like to offer my daughter, Devayanai's, hand in marriage... That is if she agrees to it." he added hastily, afraid he would upset her.

Devayanai looked astounded by her father's words, before she ran over to hug him tightly.

"Pitashree, do you mean it?!" she questioned, as he stroked her hair, chuckling.

Lakshmi felt Vishnu reach out and grab her hand tightly, clearly remembering when their daughter would hold him like that.

"What do you say?" Parvati inquired Muruga, who quickly nodded his response.

"It's settled then! Devayanai and Muruga will be married in two moons, is that alright with everyone?"

Everyone murmured their consent and Sachi promptly dragged Indra away, babbling about how she was going to make sure her daughter's wedding was the biggest and most splendorous one Devaloka would ever witness.

Lakshmi's heart felt emptier than ever. That should have been her planning her daughter's wedding, not Sachi. But refusing to be jealous of her friend's joy she forced a smile onto her face. It wasn't that hard honestly. She seemed to do it a lot these days.

---

A few days later, Lakshmi sat by Vishnu's feet smiling upon seeing another one of her devotees' happiness.

"No one can match that smile of yours, you know?" Vishnu commented, turning her attention back towards him. "Except maybe the smile your devotees wear when they speak of you."

"How could they not?" Lakshmi asked, pride slipping into her voice. "After all, I'm one of the greatest goddesses aren't I? Of course they would be happy. I grant happiness and wealth to all, doesn't that automatically place me above the rest?"

Vishnu frowned at seeing his wife's ego. There weren't many instances where he'd had to destroy her pride, but this was a first even for her. Lakshmi continued to ramble about herself and Vishnu had a feeling she had started to block out her feelings in order to deal with the things in her life. Turning herself cold-hearted in order to not feel hurt. But sometimes, pain was needed. And although it killed Vishnu, he would have to remind her of that.

"Yes, you're certainly one of the most accomplished women in the world. Or you would be, except..."

"Except? Except what?" she demanded.

"Well everyone knows a woman's greatest virtue lies in her motherhood, and you... You haven't properly raised a child yet, have you? So unfortunately, the greatest joy a woman can experience has denied itself to you."

Lakshmi looked like he had just slapped her across the face. Of all the things he could have said to dissuade her ego, it was that one? Standing up abruptly, she turned away from him.

"Lakshmi, don't take it personally, I was just-"

"Well then find better ways." she snapped, tears stinging her eyes. "Now if you'll excuse me, I need some air."

Storming out of Vaikuntham, she found herself lamenting whether he was right. Had fate really decided to deprive her of the best happiness it could have given her? Not even realizing where her feet were carrying her, she ended up in front of Kailash, where Ganesh spotted her and immediately ran over to her.

"Mami! Amma, Mami's here!"

Parvati rushed over seeing the depressed look adorning Lakshmi's moon-like face.

"Lakshmi?"

Not being able to take it anymore, Lakshmi burst into tears, sobbing into her sister-in-law's shoulder. Parvati patted her back and comforted her, wondering what could possibly be the cause for her sadness.

"Lakshmi, what's wrong?" she asked, leading her inside.

"I'm so sick of this, Parvati!" she burst out. "I can't take it anymore. I'm so tired of failing to raise my children... Failing my husband... He says he's not disappointed, but he has to be! How could he not be? And it's not like I can give him any more children either."

Parvati looked down in guilt as she remembered the curse she had delivered to the Devis in a moment of anger. If she hadn't done that, would Lakshmi be happy today?

"Kamadeva was burned..." Lakshmi continued miserably," Mangala left... Ganga was taken away... Bhauma turned evil... And Amrita and Sundara gave themselves up. Can't just one of them stay? Vishnu was right... I was never meant to be a mother. If I was, I would still have a child now."

Shiva and Muruga, who had joined them also, were silent. The former felt as though he was responsible for Kamadeva's death and Ganga's curse, whereas the latter blamed himself for asking to marry her daughters in another life.

Lakshmi wiped her tears away, backing up from Parvati.

"I don't know why I'm telling you all this. Sorry if I bothered you, I should be heading home now." she said and promptly disappeared.

The three exchanged looks.

"Why do I feel like this is our fault?" Parvati finally said. "Am I the only one who thinks that?"

"No, I feel like that too." Shiva agreed while Muruga nodded.

"There's nothing wrong with feeling guilty," Ganesh said, stepping into the area. "Even when it's not your fault. But seeing Mami so sad..."

The small boy remembered with great difficulty how happy she'd been raising his cousins. Cousins he could never forget. Especially not Kamadeva.

"But what can we do to make it up to Mami?" Muruga questioned.

Ganesh pondered it before trumpeting in excitement as an idea struck him.

"I've got it! I know what to do! Excuse me, Amma, but I have to go. I'm going to make her the happiest person ever."

A/N *Sings* Muruga's getting married, Muruga's getting married! *Finishes singing*

Devasenapati SwamiNatha Kartikeya ki?

Jai!

Also, I know Vishnu meant well, but it might have come across a bit harsh. That's alright though, since it prompted one of the greatest yet least known stories of loving bonds in history!

Our Ganesh seems to be up to something... Let's find out shall we?