𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕱𝖔𝖗𝖙𝖞

Lakshmi saw Hiranyakasiv approach Prahlada with a cup of milk, offering it to him. Despite the liquid being warm and inviting, the Asura's eyes were the exact opposite. They were cold and sinister, speaking of evil plans and deeply seeded hatred.

The boy, however, knew nothing of this, accepting the drink graciously. Muttering a quick prayer to Vishnu, he swallowed it in one go. Lakshmi braced herself to see the boy fall on the floor, but it never came. Instead, he stood grinning at his father, and thanked him for the milk.

That was just the first of many attempts he made to kill his own son.

---

The next time, he was left in a field, and when he bent down to pick a flower, an elephant came stampeding towards him. Vishnu gripped her hand at the sight, and Lakshmi was surprised. She had never seen him this angry before in his life.

Deciding to intervene, she put her powers to good use. Seeing as she commanded elephants and all the other animals in the form of GajaLakshmi, she caused his steps to be disharmful, so that when he trod over Prahlada, it didn't harm him no matter how many times it was done.

Vishnu let out the breath he had held in, knowing he was safe, before shooting his wife a grateful smile.

"If he's your devotee, it's my sworn duty to protect him." she said simply.

Prahlada was safe. For now.

---

Many attempts followed that one, including getting thrown into a well, a bed of snakes and much more. The whole time he repeated her husband's name over and over again, until it became infused with his breath, present in everything he did.

Finally, Hiranyakasiv had Prahlada sit on his Aunt Holika's lap as he set fire to the platform. Long ago, she had been given a cloak which protected her from flames, and using this to advantage, he attempted to kill Prahlada once more.

"Do something!" Kamadeva said to his father. "Appa, he's going to die!"

Lakshmi attempted to comfort her son, who was in hysterics by now. He had grown fond of the Asura Prince, adopting him as his role model. If he died, she worried her son might break down.

Just as the sparks appeared, Vishnu snapped his fingers, causing the cloak to fly off Holika and onto Prahlada. The stage erupted into flames, burning the demoness alive.

"See, Manu?" Lakshmi said, prying his fingers off his eyes. "He's okay."

Kamadeva peered down curiously before clapping with joy. Vishnu smiling, pressing a quick kiss to his cheek, gazing at him with all the affection in the world.

Lakshmi nearly melted at the sight, seeing just how much their son meant to him.

"If you're ever in trouble, I'll protect you too." Vishnu promised.

The small child giggled, curls falling over his forehead.

"I know, Appa, you don't have to tell me." he said, before returning to making flower garlands for Ganesh and all his aunts and uncles. "Amma, can we go visit Kailash later?"

"Absolutely." Lakshmi said, before returning her attention to Prahlada.

---

"Why can't you just give up on him?!" Hiranyakasiv shouted. "Clearly, he hasn't appeared before you yet, so why do you insist on refusing to accept me as a God?!"

"Who says I haven't seen him?" Prahlada replied. "Of course I have. You have as well!"

"I have?"