𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕱𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖞 𝕹𝖎𝖓𝖊

Lakshmi's movements were machine-like as she watched over the world, leaving Vishnu heavily concerned. He couldn't blame her though. Stroking her hair gently, he tried to coax her out of the walls she had begun to construct around herself, refusing to let anyone in... Not even him.

The Goddess of Wealth robotically waved her hands over a farm, blessing the old farmer with an abundance of crops. He had always followed Dharma, he deserved it. So did Kamadeva, but what did he get in the end?

She then saw a small girl, recently adopted, playing in the farmer's fields, attempting to catch a butterfly. A few plants were trampled under her feet in the process. If this continued, it could ruin his livelihood.

But instead of getting mad at her, he called her over and calmly explained it to her, before taking her back to her parents.

"She's just a child," he told them when they apologized for her behaviour, "She didn't know."

That's what Durvasa should have done. But he didn't.

She took note of a child, abandoned by his parents, and saw how that changed him, hardened him at such a young age. Was that what happened to Mangala? Samudra barely informed her about him, leaving her to wonder what had become of her son.

Ganesh was here as well, hugging her tightly and attempting to comfort her.

"It's alright, Mami, don't cry. Everyone loves Ganga, I've never seen a more respected river! And you'll always be with her. She runs over the earth, and the Yamuna - your form when you were born to Surya - connects to the river."

Lakshmi knew. There was a reason she had decided to make the Yamuna a tributary to that specific river when she could have chosen any other one.

Her lotus had withered and died, the petals falling into the water and drifting aimlessly. She often felt like that these days: As if all the life had been sucked out of her, and she was just meandering through life, no real purpose behind her actions.

"Lakshmi?" a voice at the door said.

She looked up, recognizing her father. Vishnu and Ganesh moved away, giving the two some space.

"Ksheera told me what happened, are you alright, Chellam?"

"No." she sniffed, acting like a little girl as soon as she was in her father's arms.

"Well, I brought something that might cheer you up." he said, his own tears splashing into her hair.

"Amma?"

Her head snapped up, seeing a young man standing at the door. Her breath caught in her throat, taking in his orange-amber eyes and red-tinged air.

"Mangala..." she breathed, unable to believe it really was him.

Whenever she thought about him, she only remembered the small child he had been when she had let him be separated from her. But the man in front of her was strong and muscular, with broad shoulders. While Kamadeva had taken after her with his lean form, there was no doubt that Mangala's body resembled his father's.

Tears welled up in his eyes upon seeing his parents for the first time in years. Lakshmi cautiously reached out a hand towards him, scared that he would be an illusion. She felt her fingers touch warm skin, and immediately began to cry, grabbing him in a motherly embrace, despite how small she looked compared to him.

Ganesh bounded up and down, vaguely remembering Kamadeva's younger brother.

Vishnu smiled at the scene, before Mangala held out a hand, inviting him to join the hug. He wasted no time in wrapping both his arms around his family, wishing desperately that his other children were here.

Mangala had heard the news from Samudra, and had spent the whole day wallowing in regret. He never even got to say sorry to Kamadeva for fighting with him all the time. And his little sister... He had a little sister! But he never met her, never played with her... And now she was gone.

But Kamadeva hit harder. He would never come back, meaning any hope he had to reconcile with him was gone. At least he could develop a relationship with Ganga later on in life.

Vishnu and Lakshmi finally pulled away from the embrace as Ganesh bounded over to hug him. Lakshmi knew seeing Mangala again reminded Ganesh of the days when his best friend was alive. He just wanted to feel that again.

Oftentimes, she caught herself doing the same things. Lakshmi would fall asleep in Ganga's room, wrapping her sheets around herself, pretending her daughter was lying next to her. She still left sweets out on the kitchen counter, imagining (and although she wouldn't admit it, hoping) that Kamadeva would sneak in and steal the plate.

Occasionally, she even threw a few of Rati's bangles on the dresser to make it look like she had been there. And up until now, she would randomly leave wooden toys all over the floor as if Mangala had been playing with them.

She grabbed her son's hand, clutching it tight. He clasped it back, knowing that she needed the assurance that he was still here.

"This isn't a dream, Amma." he promised. "I'm really here."

"I know." she whispered. "I just wish they were too."

---

A few days later, Rati was over at their house, attempting to make small talk with Mangala. She was in even worse condition than she had been the last time she was here. She had hair that hung in front of her face, skin seemingly unhealthy. She hadn't been eating much, just enough to sustain herself to take care of Harsha and Yasha. Still, she still somehow looked like the prettiest woman in the universe.

Some people might say that it was about time she got over the death of her husband, but Lakshmi thought otherwise. If she ever lost Vishnu - especially to her chosen deity to worship - she didn't know what she would do.

"Narayana, Narayana!" Narada cried, walking in. "I take it this is Mangala?"

Mangala nodded, recalling bits and pieces of the man that Ganesh and Kamadeva loved to imitate. He had called him 'The Funny Man', claiming his name was too hard. Looking back, it really wasn't all that difficult to pronounce. How had he gotten it wrong?

Narada's gaze shifted to Rati, expression shifting to one of confusion.

"I'm sorry, who are you?"

Her eyes flared, whipping her head to face him.

"Did you just ask who I was? I lived here for the longest time, and you don't know?!" she said, before snorting, "But how could you? You never married, I wouldn't expect you to know desire. Besides, why would I waste my efforts on a man like you? I could personally care less."

Lakshmi knew it was just Rati's grief talking, and the fear that everyone had forgotten her and Kamadeva, but clearly Narada didn't think so.

"I don't appreciate your tone of voice." he snarled. "And mark my words, you will pay for them."

Lakshmi thought nothing of it at the moment. After all, he probably just said it in a moment of anger, he would forget about it later.

How wrong she was.

A/N Oh Narada, Narada, Narada. Is anyone else worried for Rati? No?Well you should be...

And Mangala's back! How many of you missed him? I mean, he left like twenty chapters ago, so I don't expect you to remember him... But he's still back!

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?