3. Nightingale - Chrys

Mulai dari awal

Just a few moons ago, Chrys had seen a similar flyer, yet it was only two thousand gold coins at that time. With all the poverty that was rampant in the city, the city guard had hoped that someone would be desperate enough to claim the prize, but little did the city guard understand that what was stolen from the nobility within the city, was placed back into the hands of the people.

No one knew what the Nightengale looked like. They were meticulous, cautious and efficient. As a result, the enigma's reputation was becoming more profound with every strike.

Chrys watched as more guards entered the square, eager to push out as many of the vagrants as possible. This wasn't standard for the city guard, something was happening, and when something was happening, it meant that the Nightengale was likely to strike again. Chrys was no warrior, but she knew the marketplace was a perfect place to strike whatever the city guard was preparing for.

Staying where she was would be dangerous so without hesitation, Chrys made for the courtyard away from the marketplace and into the congested streets of the city, but as she walked forward with purpose, the city guard had already set up positions to examine every person attempting to leave the marketplace.

Chrys continued, eager to escape the chaos, yet she was immediately stopped by the guards that eyed her up and down with caution.

"State your business, woman." the first guard said, his arm raised just above Chrys' breast.

The second flanked him, his spear resting against his shoulder.

Chrys looked at him, her blue eyes focused on his dark brown irises full of bitterness. "Well, I was leaving the marketplace until you stopped me," she replied, a hint of frustration ringing in her voice.

"Aye, I get that," the guard replied, "but you ain't bought nought, so state your business."

Chrys looked around, examining the guards as they slowed the pace of all trying to leave. It was when the towering figure of a Lionguard walked into the square, she realised that whatever was about to happen was of utmost importance.

"Well, you see," Chrys started, flicking back her mousy brown hair, "I woke up in the morning, and had craving for bread and blueberry jam. So as I awoke, I washed and dressed before heading to the cupboards to gather myself some of that gorgeous blueberry and bread. However, I realised that I had created myself a dilemma, as I did not have any bread. Now, I realised, it is impossible for me to create myself some blueberry jam sandwiches if I lack something as essential as bread, therefore I had to do something in order to rectify this problem..."

The two guards looked at each other with confusion as Chrys continued to spout her dilemma over jam sandwiches. It wasn't until the second guard raised his hand abruptly that she stopped.

"Woah, Woah, Woah! We didn't ask for your life story, we asked for you to state your business."

Chrys crossed her arms, a small frown burrowed itself into her forehead. "Yes, you did, and yet I feel that you can not understand the answer unless I explain the gravity of the situation."

"Gravity... Where do you come up with these words?" the first guard asked.

Chrys smiled, her dimples sinking deep into her soft cheeks, "well my da' taught me to be eloquent, and speak with vigour."

"Elo what?" he asked again.

The second guard hit the first one in the arm, "Tis irrelevant, I still want to know why you're here."

"Well..."

"Short version," he commented abruptly, cutting directly across Chrys.

"To buy bread, obviously," Chrys explained.