15.5.~ bubblegum glass

The distant noises of wind chimes, beautifully tapping against each other. A young boy, poor and practically dressed in rags, walked down the sidewalk of a small neighborhood. He was chewing some gum, the extra sweet cherry kind, it was something he'd get whenever he got any yen in hand.

"Ow." The boy spat, jolting back slightly as a sharp sting hit his tongue.

He stuck his hand in, reaching to a tiny spot and pulling out something that was wedged deep inside his tongue. He took it out, looking at it, a red and blue piece of glass, one from an expensive tiffany window probably. Blood began dripping out of the crook of his mouth, staining his perfectly white teeth and leaving a salty taste in his mouth.

The boys breath hitched, it grew more rapid as his heart began racing for whatever reason. The air was intoxicated with a nasty smell of drugs reeking throughout the place. The wind chimes that were once a background noise grew louder and louder as the boys breathing did, until it became wheezing.

His surroundings became misty until he couldn't see anything, the lights flickering off as if he were actually inside a room.

Until it was pitch black.

But the sensation of a wet, cold, concrete floor reminded the boy of where he really was. Who he really was as well.

A smile appeared from the dark, teeth shining like a diamond, innocent at first glance but sinister and cruel in reality. Not to mention three scars that glowed as well, forming on his lower cheek.

The boy reached out his hand to this smile, suddenly it faded away into the mist, and behind him he felt a pair of slim fingers wrap around his shoulders, almost too tightly. The figure behind him leaned down, laying their head on top of his, revealing pure blonde hair that curled and twisted around his chin. The figure's hands worked their way up to the boys chin, then cheeks, pulling them out to form a forced smile.

He could feel the blood dripping and staining his white suit he noticed to be suddenly wearing. Quickly, for whatever reason, he looked behind him to see only the smile of the person behind him fade into the darkness as well.

"Are you scared of me?" A soft voice spoke.

The one who was bleeding and in agony looked around to see a boy. He had short brown fluffy hair. His eyes were darkened, more scary than the others...But he didn't disappear. The boy with the soft voice held out his hand from the mist, extending it continuously further in hopes of reaching the others. It was a hand with sleeves pulling back that begged to hide scars or wounds not yet healed. The boy held onto the others hand, forgetting the blood that was now gushing out of his mouth onto the mist, not a sound of it hitting the floor to be heard.

The boy was led out of the mist to a forest, it was raining. Like a harsh shower, never to pass. The one with a bleeding mouth, pulling back their two bangs which were tipped white at the end. The brunette began running ahead which made the other almost stumble and fall, their bare feet splashed through the mud and puddles.

"Where are we going?" The black and white haired boy asked, squinting his eyes as the rain fell harsher and colder. The brunette looked back at the other just to smile. It was crooked and uneven, yet it grew into a clean one, like a polished mask.

"So you say..." Suddenly the boy's eyes shot open. Cherry blossoms flying by him as he realized he was daydreaming again. Realizing he was sitting in a wheelchair, being pushed by someone behind him.

"Where am I?"

"Not this again."

A figure with short purple hair came into his sight as he stopped being pushed.

"You stopped taking your medication didn't you?"

"..."

"Why aren't you taking care of yourself? You're so sick you can't even walk, what am I to do with you? Highschool has just begun, make the most out of it. With this surgery, you may be able to last another year, or two!" The woman said, smiling a bit, but it quickly became dim and sour, empty and cold.

"What if I don't wanna live?"

The woman stayed silent, she got back up to push the wheelchair again. This time the wind blew harsher, and more pink petals flew by. Whenever they touched the boys cheek though, they withered and died before uneasily flying by to pollute their surroundings with ugliness.

Everything is ugly.

"What happens if we don't take our medication?" A woman dressed in a flowery outfit with her hair up in a ponytail. She wore a bubbly smile as those surrounding her sat, some looking more interested in the conversation, some less.

"We go back to how bad we were before?" A girl asked, to which the woman happily nodded, praising her.

"Right! So we need to continue taking medication to feel great! If your current one doesn't work, we need to try another! But in the end, we'll all find true happiness!"

The boy looked at the medicine, shaking around the bottle, rattling around the pills inside. He opened the bottle cap, pouring out the medicine onto the table, watching as it spilled out, some falling onto the carpet. It wasn't as bad as how he'd usually get rid of it, sometimes he'd sit in the kitchen, pouring water into a cup of the pills and mixing it up with a spoon relentlessly until it turned into liquid, then tossing it into the sink so nobody would notice.

"Why did you stop taking it?" A woman asked, pulling strands of her hair back to behind her ear.

"I didn't." The boy said, looking off to his side. The woman gave a disappointed hum.

"Stop lying."

"..."

"Stop lying." The woman smiled, "Stop lying. Stop lying." She repeated as the mist appeared again, surrounding him. The woman became much taller than before, her body towering above him like some monster, she was feral, gritting her fangs, and sharpening her claws with a glare that could send anyone running to hell as a better resort.

And the sirens of an ambulance began ringing.

"I'm sorry!" A much younger version of the boy choked on thick saliva which was mostly blood. It dripped down into a bucket so as to not make a mess. Their knees trembled, shaking in pain from the contact of the concrete ground. It hurt. It hurt. It hurt.

"You're amusing, so amusing." The boy felt a knife press against his lower back, edging in between his spine, staining the knife a deep cherry red, on the knife reflected the expression of a man with no regrets. Three fresh scars glistened in the one spotlight which was hidden in a room as small and dark as this.

"My sister...Is...Is she...Okay?"

"Of course, of course, Agatha has taken quite the liking to her." The man sneered, digging the knife in deeper. The boy struggled to escape but got nowhere as his arms were numb and almost broken, any movement might have completely snapped the elbows in half. The red liquid poured onto the concrete, echoing throughout the empty room. The boy swallowed thickly.

"Once upon a time....Hey, are you even listening?" The boy looked up, vision completely blurry as it came into focus to see a woman, the same one, long blonde hair and a smile that was eye candy to anyone.

"I am." The boy said, looking down at his shoes. Beside him, his sister, her arms wrapped tightly and nervously around her brother's arm with a nervous expression on her face. It was extreme, he could hear the heavy breathing, he could feel it travel down his spine, and he could notice the shaking from fear. Her hands were sweaty and eyes filled with fear as she stared at the woman, opening her mouth to say something "I-"

The boy felt a slight tap on his cheek.

"Uhm, Akutagawa, it's time for school?" A familiar voice muttered.

"What–?!" The boy said, confused and scared, though to the naked eye, annoyed. He stopped for a moment at the familiar face, regaining his composure before laying down again. "Just give me 5 minutes."

"Thank you."