Chapter 17 - Running

Start from the beginning

He returned the smile and watched his general go back into the temple before leaving by walking down the stairs in the other direction.

When Rex got back to the barracs it was still pretty early and most of his brothers were still asleep since they were on leave. Turrent Company especially could be knocked out even past lunch some days plus many were probably at least slightly hungover. Rex didn't complain. He liked working on reports and similar things while it still was quiet and calm in the corridors and dormitories.

He walked through the medical wing on his way in and saw Kix was up and working in one of the offices. The two were much alike and Kix too enyojed the peace early in the morning often. He continued to the barrack-corridor and tried to not wake anyone up while quickly changing into his armour. He left his helmet, blasters and pauldron in the small compartment under his bed and took the civilian clothes he had worn the day before and after waking up with him to the laundry.

He ate breakfast alone except for Vaughn who also got up early, although for no apparent reason. When he returned to the barracks some where still ahsleep while most where at least starting to wake up. He was barely aknowledged when he entered except for a few nods here and there when he scanned the area. He decided he could as well see how bad it was after the night out.

"Goodmorning soldiers!" He shouted, allowing himself to slip from protocol slightly. Most got up quickly to sitting if not standing and bunkmates made sure to wake their counterparts. Rex slowly walked down the short corridor lined with four dormitories on each side, every platoon divided into two. There were two sergeants per dormitory, 18 men totally in each. Together they were Torrent Company. Rex looked both ways and got nods from the sergeants and lieutenants that waited outside their respective ones showing that everyone was up. Vaughn was missing but he figured he had already came past there and was away training or something.

When he got to the end he stopped and turned the way he had learnt since a young age. The atmosphere was tense and everyone waited for their orders. Rex's had to close his eyes for a second and press his mouth shut when he heard someone vomit onto the floor. "Take care of the sick," he began. "Get them buckets, food and water and make sure nobody gets dehydrated." He paused and looked down to think, was there anything else? They had been away for so long Rex had forgot what applied. Then he remembered one more thing. "And somebody get that vomit of off the floor. Dismissed." The tension dropped and conversation sparked around the barracks as everyone got on with their tasks. Rex himself went in and checked those who seemed to be in worse condition. He got by by a few 'keep your head up' and 'don't worry about it' but when he saw Fives being cared of by some poor shiny he couldn't help but laugh.

After looking after everyone he headed to the Medbay. Headache and stomach pain were common symtoms and he decided it was for the best to at least pick up some sleeping pills so they'd be able to wear the worst off. Kix was still there in work, now joined by a few medical assistans and the pills were already out for him. "Put it down as extraterrestrial disease on the report," he said while taking the box and Kix nodded. It was the usuall excuse. They weren't suppoused to have the meds issued by the Republic for hungovers so when they did need them they filled false papers. There was little to no chance of them being caught, there was always someone who had picked up something wierd in the outer rim and brought the disease back with them.

He left the same way he had come and walked back. He suddenly got an odd feeling that there was something up with Ahsoka as he moved through the corridor but he pushed it down, he just missed her that was all. He turned a few rights and then a few lefts.

His commlink beeped and by the look of it it was his general.

"Rex, quickly, get your things I need your help." All the calm dissapeared from Rex's body.