Prologue part 2

Edit from 2022: I've filled this out a lot more but there's nothing really important that you'll miss if you don't re-read it(though I appreciate it if you do)

The medic wrapped the white tissue tightly layer after layer over the hurt palm.

"Thanks Kix." The medic looked up from his work and then turned his glance back down, Rex continued after a while. "She knows most but I wouldn't trust her survival skills." Kix finnished the wrapping and started to fill out an report on his datapad and turned to a table behind him on which the plaid Ahsoka had left him now rested.

"You and the Commander huh?" Kix didn't flinch or move while talking. Rex's eyes shot up from the floor. What did he mean by that? "You two come along well I assume."

"You know we're close as colleagues, and friends." His cheeks heated, so he felt really lucky that Kix was turned away. He twisted around in his chair like he either had a snake up his shirt or he was one himself. Kriff how he hated lying, he was so unbelievably bad at it.

"Don't worry 'bout it kid I won't say a word. And you should know that I know everything that happens on this ship." Kix stood up and gave the datapad and and a pen to Rex. 

"Don't call me kid, I'm your superior." So he did knew? Rex took it and signed the paperwork, still a bit confused about how his medic had realised. Sure, all medics were terrible gossips, but there hadn't been a soul on the bridge with them. He knew they were like spies and had eyes and ears everywhere but really? Nobody knew, and he barely knew himself what it was exactly with him and the commander, so there was no chance of any half sedated talker in the medbay spreading their secret. Kix took back the items and made sure to put them in place on his desk and Rex rose from his chair. What the fuck, he thought, walking out slowly and leaving the team-medic to be on his own.

"Whatever you say Cap." 

He had been right at the door, but hearing the nickname he turned around to add a question. "How did you know? I didn't say anything about it," he asked with a slightly confused tone. 

Kix had already dropped the subject and was sorting the different medicines in a cabinet when he said it. He looked back and pointed at him with the small packet he had in his left hand. "You do know I have learned psychology? I read people like books. You called the Commander by name every time you spoke of her and smiled whenever she was mentioned. Not to talk about how happy you were when you came in, skipping around like a child with candy. It was obvious you liked her for a looong time, so it was an easy conclusion. Plus, you fit together well, and you would never think of picking yourself a blanket because you're cold. You're too stubborn, just like her."

Rex felt like smirking but hid it, pretending to be mad. "Hey that's not how it was Kix. I can get you replaced if I want." There was an undelying heavyness with the words, but in reality he was glad, and maybe a tiny bit confused. 'Liked her'? He hadn't liked her like that before now, right?

Kix kept being the lone-wolf he was and worked on without paying him any real attention. "Yea yea, how wise of you to threaten your medic. I could get you stuck in the medbay for weeks if I wanted to."

"Kriff off Kix." Rex chuckled and rolled his eyes.

"Sure thing. Adding that to the list." Kix sat with his notes again and Rex made his way out with a small smile on his face. The medic must have spent too much time caring for the General who had spent too much time getting himself injured.

He hurried down the corridor heading for the main hangar where the sleepover would take place. No doubt that the general would be there by now and he could not take being alone with Fives and Tup for too long. Those two would sure be causing problems and be running around doing pranks.