Two is a couple, three is a nuisance

Start from the beginning

"You are the reason that Lacey lived a life in hell that made her become so f**ked up! You are the reason that I'm currently struggling with an identity crisis! We would have been fine had you people never took our parents away from us!" She said through sobs.

Lacey never reacted. Apart from the silent tears that she was shedding, she stayed quiet. Just taking everything in.

She turned to my mother. "What part did you play in this? Did you help them cover it up?"

My mother looked at her with sympathy. "No. You might not believe this, but Lilith and I were best friends before Killian's dad ruined my life. We still stayed close after, but it wasn't the same. She called me when she brought you, girls, home because you were sick, and I was studying to be a nurse. Kennedy thought that it would keep me busy, and I could help his men when they needed it."

My rage took over at the mention of my father. Years had passed since I ended his wretched life, but my hatred for the man still remained. And the woman standing in front of me didn't fare better. I f**king hated her too.

"You were really sick, Lilly. We tried everything. Took you to specialists after specialists, but none of them could tell us what was wrong with you. Months went by and you were not getting better. You wouldn't talk, you couldn't walk. You wouldn't let anyone touch you, only Lacey." My mother continued.

Lilly calmed down a bit listening to my mother, but she was still very much angry. And I didn't blame her. It was f**ked how they kept something so big from her all her life.

"We didn't separate you. We lost Lacey. We were all out one day when it happened. You had started to get better, and we thought that we'd go out and celebrate. You girls were supposed to stay at the table. Your father and I went to collect our food, but we caught a glimpse of you running out of the diner. We didn't think to check if Lacey was still at the table, we just went after you. When we went back inside to get Lacey, she was gone." Lilith said.

"Did you even look for her? Why did I leave the diner?" Lilly asked hugging herself.

"Of course, we looked. We tried everything that we could do except going to the police. We were ex-criminals; it wasn't a risk that we could have taken. But we did try, we hired many trackers to try and find her, but would come up empty every time." Marco continued for Lilith who had started crying.

"Why did I leave the diner?" Lilly asked again.

"It wasn't your fault, Lilly," Lilith said instead of answering.

"Why?!" She persisted.

Lilith refused to answer, shaking her head. Marco ran his hand up and down her arms, trying to calm her.

"Why, mum?" Lilly asked in a very small broken voice.

"You said that you hated her, and it was her fault that Killian stop coming to visit you. You were going to search for him." Lilith finally said.

"What? What do you mean?" She asked, confused. And so was I.

My mother smiled, looking from Lacey to Lilly. "You two were as thick as thieves. Nothing and no one could have come between you."

She turned to Lacey, "You were an incredible big sister. You were only five, but you were quite responsible. You protected and took care of Lilly even when we told you that you didn't have to. You two loved each other tremendously."

Marco snorted, "Yeah, that was until Killian severed their bond."

"Marco." Lilith warned at the same time my mother said, "That's not fair Marco, Killian was only a child."