Loss (1)

Death
Severus sat beside you with a tear stained face, holding your hand as laid in bed, in a Muggle Hospital. Because of your illness you were trying to sleep but it was preventing you., the pad of his thumb ran over the top of your hand as he watched you intently.

You were getting worse and it was beyond the point that there was nothing the doctors could do to help you but of course that is not going to stop them from trying. He knew that you were going to die soon but he didn't want to admit that to himself, not knowing what he would do if he were to loose you.

You started to shift around and you turned your head to the side, you loved his voice and you wanted him to sing., "Severus, can you sing that song I like? I-I can't sleep"., he smiled softly and nodded., "of course, anything you need, love".

~ Wise men say, only fools rush in, but I can't help falling in love with you. Shall I stay? Would it be a sin, if I can't help falling in love with you? Like a river flows, surely to the sea. Darling, so it goes, some things are meant to be.

Take my hand, t-take my whole life~ tears streamed down his face as he saw you holding back tears and hearing you whimper in pain., "l-love?"., "no-no I'm okay, ..."., you tried to reassure him even though you were in a great amount of pain.

"...please j-just keep singing, Sev"., he sighed deeply and took a moment before continuing: ~ take my whole life too. For I can't help falling in love with you. Like a river flows, surely to the sea. Darling, so it goes, some things are meant to be. Take my hand, take my whole life too, for I can't help falling in love with you. For I can't help falling in love with you. ~

A lone tear streamed down his cheek as you went to sleep with a soft smile on on your face. He briefly took his hand out of yours and pulled the chair closer so his legs could be situated under the bed, held your hand again and leaned his head down, resting it on the bed and falling asleep shortly after.

Half an hour went by and you groaned in pain as you woke up. You looked to your side and saw that Severus was asleep. Tears streamed down your cheeks as you gently stroked his hair. You didn't feel good with yourself that you were putting him through this.

You gently pulled your hand out of his, very careful not to wake him up and shifted yourself so you could get up. You placed your felt on the ground and got up only to fall on the ground. You started to sob as you covered your face, feeling weak and embarrassed. A few minutes went by and you tried to get up but you failed miserably.

Severus' eyes fluttered open and he quickly came to realise that you weren't there and his eyes widened. "Y/n?"., he said panicky., "I'm down here"., he looked at the ground and saw you on the cold ground and immediately rushed over to you.

"Love, what are you doing on the ground?"., he said, confused as he picked you up and put you on the bed., "I was trying to go to the bathroom"., "wha..."., he said, still completely baffled as to why you didn't wake him up., "why didn't you wake me?"., he said, still confused., "you've been so tired lately I didn't want to wake you".

He sighed and cupped your cheeks as tears brimmed his eyes getting more and more baffled by the second as to how you could be worried about him., "love, you shouldn't be worried about me. ..."., he said as he pressed his lips against your forehead.

"Come on, I'll help you"., he said as he kissed your forehead once more and you once again put your feel on the ground and put your arm around his waist as you got up. Ten minutes went by and you reached out for the doorknob and opened it.

Severus held the door open and you grabbed ahold of the railing that was provided., "do you want me to stay in here with you?"., Severus asked., you shook your head and yawned., "no it's fine"., "okay, well I'll be outside. Just call out if you need anything"., he said as he shut the door and leaned against the wall, waiting for you.

Minutes later, the door opened and he quickly got up and reached out for you. You legs went to give out but he grabbed you and got a firm hold., "Severus, something is very wrong"., you said out of breath., "what do you mean, love?"., Severus said., "I...I don't know".

"O-okay, well let's just get you back to bed so you-"., your eyes rolled back of your head and you collapsed., "Y/n?!..."., Severus said panicking., "...Love?! Somebody help, get a doctor!"., he yelling out, hoping someone is hearing him.

Dr Alfred Green - your doctor and friend - came around and started rushing towards you, checking your pulse., "we need a bed!"., Alfred called out., "what's happening?"., Severus started to panic more., "pick her up, Severus"., Severus did as he said and the bed came along and he carefully placed you down.

They started to rush you to a room and Severus started to follow them, listening to the doctors indistinct conversation but Alfred stopped him., "unfortunately, you can't come in"., "wha- why?"., Alfred didn't get a chance to answer as he rushed in.

Severus placed his hand on the door and watched through the little window on the door with tears streaming down his cheeks as he watched them trying to revive you, his breath fogging up the glass., "p-please Y/n. ..."., he begged., "...I need you to be okay".

Ten minutes went by and Severus was leaning against the wall opposite to the room, tapping his foot and drumming his fingers against his arm, anxiously waiting for some good news. The doctor's came out looking exhausted and he waited for Alfred.

"Alfred?!..."., Severus said panicking., "Is she okay?"., "shall we take a seat-"., "I don't want to sit down, ..."., Severus yelled., "...just please tell me if my wife's okay!". Tears brimmed his eyes as Alfred's shoulders slumped a bit. "We tried everything, but unfortunately we were not able to revive her. I'm sorry. ..."., Alfred said gently.,

Severus shook his head and rushed in the room, seeing you just lying there. Tears streamed down his face as he saw how peaceful you looked. "Y/n?..."., he said softly as he walked up to you, feeling for a pulse.

He didn't feel anything and he shook his head in disbelief., "n-no, Y/n. Y-You can't be gone"., he said cupping your cheeks, starting to sob loudly. He leaned down and moved his arms to wrap around your neck, resting his head on your collarbone.

Ten minutes went by and Severus hadn't moved. His arms were still wrapped you, not wanting to let you go and not fully grasping the fact that you were gone. Severus heard a knock at the door and he shook his head. "Go away!"., he shouted out, holding into you tighter. The door opened and Alfred came in., "Severus. We have to take her to the mortuary now".

"Just give me a few more minutes"., Severus voice started to crack., "I'm sorry, Severus but I'm afraid we can't d-"., "well you're not taking her!"., Severus snapped, holding onto you tighter. He moved down to your ear and pressed a light kiss.

"D-Don't worry Y/n, I-I won't let them take you. ..."., he whispered, placing another kiss, under your ear., "...I promise. I-I love you, I love you so much, p-please don't forget that, love"., "sir, I'm very sorry but it has to be now"., said Alfred.

"I heard you!..."., Severus again snapped., "...Just give me a few minutes"., Alfred walked over to Severus and put his hand on Severus' shoulder, to which he shook it off., "I promised I wasn't going to leave her"., he looked up at him with tears brimming his eyes.

"Severus, you have too. ...". Alfred said looking at your lifeless body., "...She's gone"., Severus finally let go of your face and looked at you once more, cupping your cheeks. "Love?..."., Severus whispered, pressing the most gentle of kisses against your lips.

"I love you, Y/n".