"Anyway, will you stay?" Jake fixed his eyes back onto the t-shirt he was holding. "Come on, you still have me. And dad won't even really be around that much. Us siblings need to stick together." I sat next to him, trying not to sit on the clothes which was a near impossible task. "And I need you." I nudged him playful, when he looked at me a shadow of a smile graced his lips.

"Whatever, but if anymore shit happens I'm out of here." Another lie.

"Deal." I said, holding my hand out. He took it willingly and the pact was made.

***********************************************************************************************

Given a normal night, no way would I have had the balls to walk through the eerily quiet house. No energy saving here, as all the lights in the hallway stayed lit. They had the past couple of nights as well.

I took comforter in the warm colours and brightness the lights brought, they reminded me of where I really was. Safe with my father and brother. Repeating that over in my head did little to stop the hammering of my heart, which still needed to recover from tonight's nightmare.

I'd forgotten what dreams felt like, only the nightmares of Helen's voice snarling in my ear before the sharp pain I'd come accustomed to returned. In some ways I'd become grateful for the pain, it was always that which woke me from the hellhole my own brain forced me to live through.

Shakenly, I'd turned on the light and knew I couldn't stay in that room. As beautiful as my father had made it for me, a negative energy hung there, a swirl of pain I needed to escape from or I'd become consumed by it.

Wandering aimlessly as I normally did around this building which had way too many rooms and corridors, I eventually found the main staircase.

The hand crafted oak bannister flowed down the stairs, as each step pressed into the carpet with my descent I couldn't help but imagine myself as someone important, a princess or queen perhaps. Below, many people would watch, waiting for my grand entrance, bewildered by the elegant dress I wore.

A silly thought, for one I hated attention. In reality, someone would have to pull me very inelegantly down or I'd stay hidden upstairs forever.

That didn't prevent me from wishing I could be the person who did have the confidence to walk with her head high as people stared at her. To be like Gemma, who must know the looks were because of her outstanding beauty. For me, it normally meant I'd said or do something wrong.

Even with socks on, the marble entrance floor felt cold beneath my feet. Padding across the room quickly, listening to any sound, I made my way through the house. My heart pounding in my chest as if I was a criminal. The moment I heard a voice my body halted in its tracks.

Their conversation was in another language, however the frequent laughter told me they'd turned away from me. It echoed around the corridor they walked through.

I continued to curiously walk, my only real fear was bumping into Victoria or Dean. That would be like jumping from one nightmare into another. Victoria's non-stop catty and unnecessary remarks had a draining energy, and Dean, well he clearly disapproved of me. Since that night I'd walked out, his cold stares sent chills down my spin even from afar.

To escape them, I'd spent the last two days either reading in the half completed library or watching films with Jake. Not the amazing summer I'd expected but not the worst.

I had yet to make a single friend, bar Jake.

Fortunately my luck seemed to be changing as I spotted the kitchen ahead, with nobody in sight I sneaked a quick look into the fridge. Was this wrong, to snoop around another's kitchen, even if it is my fathers?