25: B I R T H D A Y

Start from the beginning

"Hope he doesn't grow out to be like his father" I expressed my fear to Rakshit. He held my shoulders and told me Varun would be nothing like his biological father since we will raise him to be a true man. "We will raise him right" I smiled at him.

"We will raise him right" he smiled and pulled me back into a hug. I swear if Varun entered again, Collen was going to die.

"Rakshit?" He hummed in response "Rakshit let me go. Varun will return if we didn't go out"

"Let him come then. He knows everything. What did you eat before giving that person birth?"

"Hey, you can't say that" I pouted, the way Varun did, filling my mouth with air. Living near Varun had turned me into half child.

"You- mother of Varun" he poked my cheeks and laughed with me.

"Rakshit let's go now" I kissed his cheeks and asked him to leave before Collen or Varun or anyone else came.

"That's so unfiar" Rakshit faked a few tears before holding my hand and going out with me. Seeing us every adult made mischievous faced which I knew very well. Rakshit glared at his brothers who were constantly giving us looks.

The party was being held in the backyard but Rakshit kept looking at the front due to some reason. I wondered what it was but didn't ask him. We all got busy playing birthday games with Varun. The best part being Arjun dressed in a fairy costume because the fairy we asked to come had quit the job the very same day.

The celebrations went on and it was evening now, the time of presents. All of us lined up in front of Varun, holding the presents in our hands. Varun sat ok a chair and impatiently cried for his gifts. He insisted on opening the gifts before cutting the cake, so we had to do it that way.

Romi came forward with a camera, Arjun came with binoculars, Collen came with toy truck, Divya came with toy aeroplane and Sia came with a remote controlled car. Varun screamed in joy. Holding all the presents in his lap he thanked everyone for the gifts before looking at Rakshit.

Rakshit came with a big wrapped box and sat in front of Varun to offer him what he had brought.

"This is from your mom and me" Rakshit and I had gone to buy Varun's gift together in the hope that we would be able to pick the best for him.

"But Raksh I asked you something. You forgot?" God knows what he wanted now.

"Oh yeah sorry. I remember you told me you'll ask what you want on your birthday. You can ask me now" Rakshit said and took Varun in his lap while kneeling on the floor.

"You will give me?"

"Yes" Rakshit smiled.

"Pinky Promise?" Varun stretched out his pinky finger to which Rakshit did the pinky promise without hesitation. What could he possibly ask for?

"Pinky promise" maybe a new set of cars or something.

"Will you marry mommy?"

R A K S H I T

None of us spoke a word after Varun told me what he truly wanted. It was true that I wanted to make Varun and Drishti mine but it was too soon. Drishti wouldn't feel comfortable in marrying me. We had met each other just a few months back so I wasn't sure if she even wanted to get married before completing her degree.

"Varun, listen to me" The entire atmosphere turned into a more serious one when Varun nodded his head in hope of having a yes as an answer.

"What happened Raksh? Oops!" He bit his tongue and slapped his own forehead as if he had said something wrong "I mean dad. Can I call you dad? Obviously I can" he laughed at his own answers and hugged me tight. "Oh Raksh, dadda, You know all my friends have dads but I don't, not that my mommy wasn't enough but now I will have a dad too. Keep my mommy happy okay. She's sooooo delicate"