3: F A V O U R

D R I S H T I

Days in our life held their own perfection, their own bliss, especially the nights when Varun would target a specific thing he found amazing during the day, and would be explaining it to me at night.

Tonight's topic was strange though. God knows why he chose the man next door as his today's topic when he only saw him once.

"Varun, please let mommy sleep" looking at Varun, I tried making him fall asleep but he was so interested in our new neighbor's height and physique that he was constantly talking about him and only him, even if he hadn't seen his face once.

"Mommy he is so tall! I want to grow up just like him. Tall, well built, and handsome"

"How are you so sure that he is handsome? You haven't even seen him"

"How are you so sure that he isn't handsome? Tell me young lady" as I pulled his nose, his lips curved in a pout and he forwarded his arms towards me for a night cuddle when he would elaborate how his went. "Oh, I just remembered, how was your exam mommy?" He asked, cuddling in my arms and looking at my face cutely.

"It was awesome. I think I will get the scholarship and then we will have a small celebration"

"Promise?"

"Promise" I kissed his forehead and hummed some music in addition yo telling him stories so as to make him fall asleep.

Within a few minutes he had given in to the sleep and was resting peacefully in my arms. My attention however was all occupied by the strange behaviour of the guy next door. What could be the reason that he came home stumbling when he didn't seem drunk. Moreover from the way he was hiding his face clearly stated something wrong going on with him.

...

After sending Varun to his pre school, I decided to do some gardening today as my college had a day off today and this garden really needed a makeover! So, with full swing, I went inside and grabbed the necessary things before returning to the garden and inspecting the state of it, wondering from where should I start.

As per my opinion, the flower bed near the neighbor's fence would be the perfect place to start, the place where Varun loved to hide things in his time capsule which according to him, he would open after seventeen years. So that place was a real mess owing to the constant digging and destruction of the poor roses and the lilies.

"Let this boy reach home, tonight he wouldn't be getting any ice cream after dinner" I groaned in frustration after taking a look at the chaos created by him due to which I had to uproot each and ever single flower as they were damaged.

I placed my tools aside and started pulling out the flowers which took me approximately a quater hour. The moment I finished my job, I noticed a small crack in door of the wooden fence partying the two houses. The fence was undoubtedly old, old enough that I have named it the Triassic Fence after the dino age- the age of mesozoic era when dino's were dominant. "Great! Now I need to get this damn thing repaired!"

Even if Varun and I hated the fence sue to some past events where we would get hurt by running into it accidentally, I couldn't directly ask our neighbors to remove it and separate the houses by a simple pavement.

Note: our earlier neighbors were rude af!

Picking up the soil and the flower remainings, I went to dump them in the trash bag and kept it aside from where a few farmers would be taking it to make compost. These people should be appreciated, from heart.