i love you

authors note: here's a lil small imagine that i just wrote <3

the stars were shining in the moonlit sky, the heating was on, we had food on the way and our favourite show was on in the background, it was the best way to spend a saturday night. mason had been sent back home from newcastle because he'd caught the flu so it was now my duty to look after him and make sure he got better but i wasn't complaining, and neither was he.

because i was working majority of the week and he was at training and at matches, any opportunity that we got to spend with each other we took, even if one of us was ill. mason had messaged me when he got sent home and luckily i had the weekend off so i decided to nip to the shops to get some treats for us both, knowing that we wouldn't be doing anything but cuddling on the couch watching sex education. and when he eventually arrived home; he arrived to his duvet and pillows set up on the couch, multiple candles lighting the room up and our series ready to watch on the tv.

once mason had showered, changed into more comfortable clothes and had a couple of paracetamols, we spent the first few hours cuddling; masons body in between my legs as he lay his head against my boobs, using them as a cushion; hooking one of his arms under my bent knee, tracing shapes and his name all over the back of my thigh whilst i ran my fingers through his slightly damp hair.

"would you get with ruby matthews if you had the chance?" i asked him randomly, the said character coming onto the screen.

"she's fictional, babe, but i don't think so." mason answered it confusedly, and i could tell that his eyebrows were slightly furrowed.

"you don't think so?" i laughed at his unsure answer, mason looking up at me with a small smile on his face.

"how do you want me to answer that?" he chuckled, resting his head back on my chest, moving his hand from the back of my thigh to my waist as he rubbed his thumb against my skin under the hoody i was wearing.

"be honest about it, i wont get annoyed." i quickly kissed the top of his head, hearing him click his tongue whilst he thought of his answer.

"if ruby matthews asked me out, i'd say no."

"come on babe, be honest."

"i am being honest, i've got you." he looked up at me once again, his eyes full of adoration causing me to blush. "are you blushing?"

"of course not, it's just hot." i told him playfully, as i began to fan myself with my hand.

"i'm getting you hot, you mean."

"calm it mount, you're meant to be ill." the smiles on our faces being nothing but genuine whenever we were in each other's company. our family and friends said that there was no doubt that mason and i were soulmates and they firmly believed that we were each other's person. "you just make me very happy, that's all."

"you're probably my favourite person."

"probably? come on then, who's before me?" i tried to stop myself from blushing even more by making a joke.

"declan obviously." he played along, earning a light and jokey slap to the back of his neck, both of us laughing until mason started getting serious again.  "i love you."

those three words left his mouth. we hadn't said that to each other yet, even though we'd been together for seven months as we were both waiting for the right time and the other person to say it first. but he decided to make the move first, like he always did, and i was grateful for that.

he loved me and i loved him.

"i love you too."