12| Answers

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Answers

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 12: Answers (Ronan's POV)

"Are you going somewhere? It's getting late," Dad called out from the couch while I ran a hand through my hair, heading for the door. 

"It's not that late," I replied, "and I'm just going for a walk. I'll be back in a while." 

He nodded in understanding and I pulled the front door open, locking it shut behind me and walking past our front yard. 

I was heading to the beach, thinking even if I don't go inside if it's already closed up, I could just take a stroll nearby. 

"Ronan!" I turned around when I heard her calling my name. She glanced at her front door before jogging over to me quickly. 

"Hey," I said, looking down at her. 

"Hey, um... where are you going?" 

"To the beach," I answered. 

She frowned, "Right now?" 

"Hmm," I nodded, watching her. "Want to come?" 

"I should get home, actually. Never mind." She took a few steps back but didn't leave. 

Then I realized why she was looking for me because it's obvious that she was. She has questions about the book. "I'm sure your dad will be fine. Drop him a message." She seemed puzzled, not sure what to do. I turned back around and started walking. "I'll answer all the questions I can!" I called out after me without turning around. I heard her rushed footsteps until she was walking beside me, fixing her bag on her shoulder. I bit back a smile, glancing down at her. "You liked it." It wasn't a question, I could see it on her face. 

"It's a good book," she shrugged, "why wouldn't I like it?" 

We walked in silence until we made it to the beach, walking past the main area, both of us knowing where to go. We reached the cave but instead of sitting on the sand, we both moved back, sitting at the top of the wall that separated the beach from the road. She put her bag down and held onto the concrete, slowly rocking her legs back and forth. 

"You can ask about the book. I can't give you answers if you don't ask." 

"Aren't you under a contract?" she mumbled. 

"I am, but what does that matter? It's not like I'm telling anybody who asks. It's you," I shrugged. 

She paused for a minute in thought and then asked the first question everybody does. "Was she real?" 

"Yes and no?" 

"Huh?" 

I chuckled at the look on her face. She seems so confused. "If the reader wants her to be." 

"Who wouldn't?" 

"You'd be surprised," I nodded slowly. "There are some people out there who enjoy the miserable endings. Some people thought it would be a better ending if he really was deemed insane and she never existed. They took the last page as just another one of his hallucinations. And some people want her to be real, they want a happy ending for the two of them, so they take it to be real. They think she managed to make it out without getting caught and came to help him."