22

"Smile and be friendly. That's all I need from you Anastasia", Abel says as he adjusts his collar.

"I will", I comply without any rebuttal. I do intend on being on my best behavior for the event. Whilst I'm anxious out of my mind, the passing scenery calms my nerves a tad.
The awkward journey is nearly an hour out of town, as the sun is setting we reach our destination. The old-fashioned mansion is even bigger than Abel's home. To say it's enormous would be downplaying its glory. Along with size, the elaborate landscaping is the work of gods. There is a wolf-inspired plant sculpture positioned by the entrance.

My eyes take it all in when the driver opens the car door and escorts us out. The sight is so breathtaking, I don't notice when Abel takes my hand into his.

The walk to the entrance consisted of Abel tugging me along while I admired what was around us. He rings the doorbell and instantaneously a man welcomes us in.

"The woman of the hour has finally arrived!" the grey-bearded host announces.

The loud noise from the party snaps me back into reality. My nostrils flinch at the aroma of other Alphas, out of the crowd there have to be at least a few of them.

Classical music plays in the background as the well-dressed men and women chat and drink wine. The venue looks to be some type of banquet hall, possibly where the Northern Council has its meetings.

Without a care in the world, Abel cuts through the sea of people to get to his fellow council members sitting at a table in the back corner. His face lights up, like a school-aged boy being unified with his friends.

"Gentlemen, I hope you're having a wonderful evening. This is Anastasia, my beautiful Luna" his introduction is anything but modest.

Altogether they greet me with open arms, though one particular man takes the lead. "I hope you're doing well, I heard of the unfortunate circumstances you've experienced the last few days" the bald man with piercing blue eyes speaks.

"I'm doing fine, thank you" a small smile curves onto my lips. Despite what I'm feeling, I know I need to keep up the nice girl facade.

Both Abel and I take a seat at the table. He joins in on the conversation, telling them all about the Jack situation. Of course parts of his story are fabricated, he's determined to push the narrative that I was kidnapped. The council members eat up every ounce of it. Other than a few glances my way, they act as if I'm not here, hanging off each word that Abel says.

"I had to rescue her from that monster. Thank God I got there before he got the chance to knot her" he continues to lie through his teeth.

"That would have been a tragedy", One of the council members shakes his head.

'What's a knot?' I think to myself while the men continue conversing. It's a word I've heard before but when I was a child no one in my pack would tell me. They said they would when I got older but that day never came.

Minutes slowly turn into hours, apart from the incredible roast dinner I was miserable listening to them chat about nonsense. He should've let me stay back at the mansion.

After nearly falling asleep, the party came to an end. The council collectively thanked everyone for their attendance then left the maids and servants to escort everyone out.

The bald Alpha that I learned is named Christopher walks us to our car. "It was great getting to know you, Anastasia, you two make a very lovely couple." he smiles with perfectly pearly white teeth.

"Thank you, I knew you would like her. I picked her to be mine for a reason" Abel speaks about me as if I'm an object. As much as I want to cause a scene, I know it would only make my cause worse.

I say my goodbyes politely then go straight to the backseat. Abel soon follows me into the vehicle and then instructs his driver to take us home.

The wheels of the vehicle travel down the gravel road leading up to Abel's house. Only about a mile out he begins talking, "You'll be pleased to know that I'm letting you sleep in my room tonight" his cold hand brushes against my thigh.

It sends a shiver through my entire body, "I'm fine with sleeping in the basement" I scoot away from his touch. Sleeping with him feels wrong and inappropriate not to mention disgusting.

Gently he pulls me back to his side, "Couples share a bed Anastasia. It's also worth remembering that you had your chance to be alone but you blew it" he mentions my escape from the basement.

I can't find the words to respond but I'm temporarily saved from the discussion when we arrive at our destination. I hurry out and rush to the front door. All I want to do is get away from the narcissistic asshole.

It takes a few moments of knocking before one of the maids allows me in. She compliments me on how beautiful I look but I simply ignore her and seek refuge in the basement. It's dark and gloomy like I remember but anything is better than sleeping with the enemy.

Feet aching from the uncomfortable shoes, I kick them off and throw them across the room. The stress of it all settles in, I plop my body onto the mattress staring at the ceiling helplessly.

"I know you're down here," Abel says as he walks down the staircase. I don't even turn my head to look at him.

"Come back upstairs with me. I know you're uncomfortable but you have to get used to being around me" he stands over me with a condescending smirk.

"I just want to sleep, I'm exhausted" I roll over so that my back is facing him.

The Alpha is relentless in his pursuit, like a lover he crawls onto the bed and cuddles me from behind. Despite my groans, he wraps his arms around mine, "We can sleep here if that's what you prefer" his deep voice whispers into my ear.

His warm body pressing into mines only angers me. For a kidnapper, he has some nerve to think I would ever be intimate with him, "What more do you want from me? You took me away from the only family I have left" I bite my lip to release aggression.

"I'm sorry Anastasia, I know I've never apologized-" he tries to express regret but I stop him in his tracks.

"Don't! If you are sorry you would let me go home" the words come out sounding snarky and bitter. Judging from my time here, I expected to get backlash for my attitude but instead, Abel releases me and then stands to his feet.

Curiously I turn over to see the Alpha stepping back upstairs, "Where are you going?" I ask the question despite this being what I wanted to happen.

"To bed" is all he says before closing the basement door. The click from the knob echoes off the cement walls.

A small sigh of relief slips out, I can unwind. The social event took so much out of me, I could hardly stay awake. Being free from his gaze, it doesn't take long for my heavy eyelids to shut. I fall asleep after a while of complete silence in the darkened room. Although a lot was on my mind, I managed to tuck it away for the sake of getting a good night's rest.