1

The cool night breeze blows through my hair as my feet kiss the muddy ground. I run barefoot through the forest, panting loudly with no sense of direction. There wasn't any time to think. The ambush on my pack happened out of nowhere. We were outnumbered by the vampires that were determined to destroy us. I barely escaped with my life.

I'm an Omega, the most valuable target. It's a known fact that vampires go for us because we are the only fertile werewolves. If they kill all of us it's only a matter of time before the entire species is extinct. The rivalry between the two societies goes back thousands of years. After many failed treaties, the war reached new heights.

"Don't run from me wolf girl!", a distant voice shouts.

Jumping over rocks and dodging trees, I leave everything behind me. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope that some of my packmates may survive the attack.

I struggle to see as tears blur my vision, in what seemed to be a great escape I lose my footing and fall. My body comes crashing down so hard that I roll a few feet forward.

My head spins in circles but I manage to get on my knees despite the wind being knocked out of me. The moment I regain my strength I look up from the ground to see a tall slender figure soaked in blood.  

"Gotcha!", the blood-sucking creature pulls me to my feet. I helplessly cry and beg yet he finds it all to be amusing. His sadistic laugh echoes around us.

"Why aren't you in your wolf form, mutt?", he looks at me with pure hatred and disgust.

"Let me go!", I wiggle and squirm but to no avail. His nails dig into my skin mercilessly.

He smirks and shows off his sharp fangs, "You're an Omega, I can smell it. This is the first time I've gotten my hands on one of you".

My heart drops to my stomach, and the fear of what's to come grapples me. In a last ditch effort to save myself, I sink my teeth into his shoulder. Although I don't have my full bite force since I'm not in wolf form, it's still damaging.

He drops me to the ground as he groans in pain. I'm able to crawl a short distance before he recovers.

"Get back here, I'm not done with you yet!", he grips my legs and drags me closer to him. I wrap my arms around a tree to break his hold. Within only a few seconds the cold hand that was around my ankle releases me.

I glance back in disbelief that I could overpower him. My doubt proves to be correct when I lay my eyes on his decapitated body and a black-furred werewolf lingering over him.

"Who are you?", I breathe heavily and stare. The scent isn't familiar, he's not a packmate of mine.

When in wolf form, werewolves don't have the ability to speak. The fact I asked a question is evidence of my panicked brain.

The four-legged beast bends down beside me, the universal sign that he is offering a ride. Without a second thought, I pick myself up and jump on his back. My shivering hands grasp onto his fur tight as I brace for a high-speed getaway. Into the night's darkness, the mysterious wolf takes us miles away.

After what seems like an eternity, we find refuge in a dark secluded cave. He lets me off of him and I immediately start exploring the strange surroundings. It's as creepy as one would expect but there are plenty of supplies. He's definitely been here before judging by all the canteens and firewood.

"You don't have to be afraid anymore. I'm Leo, Alpha of the Sioux pack", the man formally introduces himself.

It takes me by surprise when I turn around to see him now nude in his human form. He's muscular and handsome like most Aphas are. "I'm Daniella," I tell him my name as my eyes stay focused on his short facial hair and chiseled chin.

He wanders over to a box on the ground and pulls out a blanket, "The plan is to stay here until sunrise. When those night demons go into hiding, I'll take you to the rest of my people".

I watch him with both admiration and fear. Alpha's are unpredictable, the females in my pack have always taught me to never be alone with one especially being an Omega. Supposedly they're all incredibly possessive and have horrible tempers.

"I don't think I should...I have a pack. They might go looking for me", I nervously push a strand of long black hair out of my face.

"You used to but not anymore. I heard the attack from miles away. It sounded pretty brutal, I wanted to see if I could find any survivors. Even though we aren't from the same pack, our species has to stick together", his straightforward comment crushes any faith I had left.

The severe trauma pushes me to regress to my childhood coping methods. I wrap my arms around my legs to comfort myself. The idea of no longer having a pack is too stressful for me. Your pack is all you have as a werewolf.

He sits down next to me, his masculine Alpha scent fills my nostrils. "Daniella, it's okay to cry but remember you have to stay strong. The moment you give up you let those vamps win".

Endless tears gush down and he wipes them from my cheek. I can't bring myself to form words. Leo whispers then places me in his arms tightly, "Shh, You'll get through this", The stranger holds me as if he can identify with my pain. Whether a wolf is an Omega, Alpha, or Beta we all understand the agony of a broken pack.