3

After a few hours of downtime and a nap, dinner is finally ready. I was starving by then being that I hadn't eaten since yesterday. Leo showed me to the fire pit where his pack eats their meals.

With the beautiful view of the sunset, everyone eats together in a way that's reminiscent of home. Although they're untroubled, I'm suffering from the deep pain that lingers in my heart. The feeling of loneliness consumes me.

"Hi, I'm Otis, figured I should introduce myself since you're sitting here all alone. I'm pretty much the unofficial second in command", an adolescent redhead greets me with an enormous grin.

The scent of an Alpha radiates from him but he doesn't appear as serious and tough as most. Usually there are a few Alphas in a pack, however, it's the strongest who gets to lead.

"I'm Daniella", I say as he sits next to me.

"So how long do you plan to stay?", he asks me the question I've been dreading. It's a truth I don't want to confront.

I sigh, "I don't know. Leo is taking me back home in a couple of days, hopefully I still have a pack left", my arms wrap around my body timidly.

"That's horrible, fucking vampires are the scum of the earth", he swears with anger in his eyes.

I silently nod, he's completely right about those vamps but at the same time I'm so broken I can't find the energy to be angry. I guess I haven't made it to that stage of grief yet.

Otis notices my quietness and then shifts the conversation, "You know I still can't believe Leo is letting you stay with him. Elizabeth is going to be pissed".

I crack a small smile, it was kinda amusing to watch her freak out on him, "She already chewed him out".

He burst out into laughter, the kind that is so contagious that you can't help but join in even when you feel like shit. The drama is a convenient way to get my mind off the depressing matters at hand.

Only seconds later, the woman in question makes her appearance. "Speaking of the devil..." he whispers as we both watch her strut over to us with her bouncy curls blowing in the wind.

"Can we talk in private?", she confronts me in a surprisingly calm manner.

I glance at Otis awkwardly then back to her. "Sure", I stand and follow her away from the group and out of earshot.

She starts with a stressed expression, "I really need to get this off my chest, please respect my relationship with Leo. I understand why you're here but don't make things complicated"

I can sympathize a tad bit now that she's not being a total bitch but I remember what she thinks of Omegas. We're all promiscuous in her eyes.

"I can't help that I'm an Omega and I have way bigger issues in my life right now. I'm not interested in him or any other man for that matter", I try to reassure her that I'm not here to cause problems. This is my temporary home after all.

In response she folds her arms across her chest, "Be honest. He's an Alpha and you're an Omega. You know in our society you two are supposed to be together".

I've heard the idea before. "Luna" is what we call the Alpha's mate. In the older generations, Omegas are seen as the perfect Lunas. Fortunately, my pack didn't promote those values. I was raised to be an individual not merely an accessory to be owned.

"That's an outdated ideology. No offense but you're overthinking it. If he loves you that's all that matters", I reject the concept entirely.

Her once pale face takes a pink hue, "Our numbers are dwindling. Those so-called outdated ideologies are making a comeback" she grows more aggressive but I remain unphased.

"Listen, whatever y'all have going on leave me out of it", I roll my eyes and try to walk away but she yanks my arm.

The initial shock of her touch sends my heart racing. My reaction is swift when I snatch away, "Get off, you fucking psycho!" I look at her with both fear and astonishment.

She exposes her sharp K-9 teeth as the growls of her inner werewolf demand the attention of the entire pack. I instinctively take a step back at the sight of her turning. Her originally dark brown eyes light up to a glowing shade of yellow.

"Break it up you two!", I hear Leo yell from the distance as he hurries straight over to Elizabeth.

He rests his hands on her shoulders and stares her directly in the eyes, "Baby, calm down. You don't want to do this. I know you're a good person, she's just a kid you know that", he pleads with her to stop the transformation.

The tension is so thick you could cut through it. We all watch on, not knowing what to expect. A battle between a Beta and an Omega is unorthodox.

"Are you okay?", Otis comes up from behind me and asks with nothing but concern.

I nod but can't stop shaking. This has never happened to me before. Back home, I would piss people off sometimes but they never threatened me like this. I'm the definition of a sheltered werewolf. The brutal and violent aspects of the world were foreign to my life.

Leo manages to cool her down from her fit of rage. When she snaps out of the trance she runs away without saying a single word. Expectedly, her boyfriend chases after her.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that. She's a crazy bitch. You don't deserve shit just for being an Omega", my newfound friend wraps his arm around my shoulder.

I breathe in his scent as he comforts me. It must be something biological about Alphas that makes me feel safe around them. The rest of the pack gossips to one another, it was a spectacle to say the least.