8

We spent hours telling each other about our lives, time flew by until dusk. My mother has been through hell, my disappearance sent her into a deep depression that she only recently began recovering from. She promised herself to live a life of purpose after my father passed away. Now that I have appeared, she has to rationalize everything all over again.

The same can be said for me. The grief of losing my pack is a pain I haven't healed from. Not to mention the struggle of learning to live in this new world. It won't be easy but together anything seems possible.

To end the long day, we ate a steak dinner as a family. It was another culture shock by itself. Those metal things she calls forks are quite awkward to eat with when you're used to ripping food apart with your teeth. She was kind enough to help me but I would be lying if I said I felt comfortable.                                  

My tiresome body stretches across the large soft mattress in the room that used to be for guests. I peacefully sleep naked under the blankets until a sudden thump against the window scares me awake.

It sounded like a rock, my ears perk up and all the nerves in my body stand on edge. I debate investigating the ruckus, a wave of courage takes me and I slowly creep over with the covers wrapped around myself.

I wonder if my eyes are deceiving me when I look down to see Leo. I unlock and slide open the window "What are you doing here?"

"Come down, I need to talk to you", he shouts up to the second floor.

Leo isn't the person I would expect to see, he tricked me. Trust isn't something that comes easy to me and he completely shattered it.

I quietly close the window to not wake my mother that's in the room across from mines. Despite the negative feelings towards him I throw on my clothes. He bothered to come all this way, I might as well hear him out.

"Listen I'm sorry I didn't know they were going to lock you up like that. Please forgive me, it was selfish", he proceeds to apologize.

I sigh and roll my eyes, "It's alright, I guess. I'm going to try to make this work". Part of the reason I can't be too mad is that in the end what he did was good for me. I got to meet the mother I never knew I had. It's been a wish of mines ever since I was a child.

"I should've told you what was going on. Did they pair you with an Alpha yet?", he anxiously peeks around.

"Not yet but I'm thinking of how I can get out of it."

A flicker of anguish displays on his face, "They take this extremely seriously. They're probably recruiting someone as we speak. I just don't want you to end up with someone terrible. I care about you, Daniella".

I can't stop myself from hugging him, "You don't have to worry, I'm not getting an Alpha" The embrace lingers like long-lost friends finally reuniting. We're both comforting each other for what's about to happen next. Leo's made an unbreakable connection with me in the short time we've known each other.

"Ok, just be safe. I got to get going before someone sees me", his strong arms let go of mine hesitantly.

"Bye", I softly bid him farewell as he shapeshifts into wolf form. The four-legged creature dashes into the forest and out of sight. I tiptoe back into the house after taking in one last breath of fresh air. In no time I was back in my room snoozing.

The following morning, I hear the sounds of an argument. My eyelids flutter open as the voice becomes more recognizable.

"He is not getting my daughter! I don't care who he is!", my mother's voice travels from downstairs.

Still wearing the clothes from last night, I hop to my feet and swiftly make my way to the hallway to eavesdrop.

"He's basically royalty up North. What better can we do for her?" a familiar male voice complains but she's not putting up with his bullshit.

"No, I'm not considering it. Find someone else, my mind is made".

My heart pumps heavily when I realize what's being discussed. Like Leo mentioned last night, the council has already found an Alpha for me. From the sounds of it, my mom isn't pleased.

I may not be knowledgeable about modern life but I'm not going to let my mate be chosen without my input. In a hurry, I rush down the staircase and all eyes turn to me. 

"Go back in your room sweetie, everything is fine," she forces a smile.

"She is a big girl, she should be included in this too", he redirects his focus to me. "We found an Alpha for you. His name is Abel Wright, he's part of the Northern council" Idris offers information.

My mother takes my face into her hands, "I don't want you to go up North. You're not prepared for that type of change. Not to mention, he doesn't have the best reputation".

I listen and believe every word she speaks. She wouldn't be against this man for no reason. Idris struggles to hide his frustration, shifting his weight from foot to foot, "Anastasia, you should get to know him yourself. He'll be in town in a couple of days. He would love to meet you." He uses my birth name.

To defuse the situation I agree, "Okay, sure. I'll meet him".

"Thank you for being reasonable. Janice I will be in touch the moment of his arrival", he adjusts his clothing and collects his folders off the counter. My mother glares him down as he leaves our home. It hasn't been twenty-four hours yet and problems are beginning to show themselves.