"You're late." Father Lorenzo stood at the door with a frown on his face. I was surprised and excited to see him.

"I know." I held my head down.

"Very late."

"I'm sorry." I genuinely told him. He was very serious about me coming on time, but he still waited.

"Next time, don't be late."

I smiled as I followed him inside.

***************************************

I followed him through a room of the church that was filled with books, cobwebs, and dust.

"So you said that you would tell me everything you know about the deviation. Right?" I spoke up first.

"Yes."

"Do you know where they are? Or if they're still alive?" I asked eagerly.

"All of your questions will be answered soon, young one."

I sign in frustration my patience wearing thin. Father Lorenzo led me to a dark room with only the flame torch on the wall to light the room.

"Where are we going?" I asked him.

"You said you wanted to know if the deviation is still alive. Right."

"Yeah." I said.

He pulled the torch handle which activated a hidden door, the brick wall which was hiding a passageway opened up leading to a dirt stairway that led deeper into the church. He walked in with his flashlight signaling for me to follow him. Most people wouldn't follow a man that they just met down a dark secret path down to the bottom of a church. But for some odd reason I trusted him. Following him down the spiral staircase, I came to view different pictures of people in robes. Seeing these pictures I felt a sense of belonging. To people I didn't even know.

"Welcome to my study." Father Lorenzo held out his hand flicking on a light that illuminates the dark room. It was much bigger than I thought. The space was filled with items I've never seen before, books that I could not read. It was amazing.

"What is this place?" I asked, touching a globe that had different continents on them, continents that never even existed?

"This is where Deviation comes to do their training and study, well, what's left of them." He says casually. My eyes get wider at his response. The deviation.

"So they're alive!" I turn around to face him, a smile on my face.

"More than you realize." He said with a smile. Ever since being here I finally felt that I could rely on someone other than myself. I turned around and looked at the dirt room that was filled with books and other valuable items. I walked around, occasionally running my hand over the items on the table until I saw a picture. It was a picture of my mom. Why did he have a picture of my mom? There was a man standing next to her, it was Father Lorenzo! He knew my mother!

"You knew my mother!" I held the picture in my hand.

"Yes, I did. She was my friend, and a very important person to the deviation." His smile turned into one of remembrance. My mother knew the deviation on a personal level?

"How did you know her?" I asked, frowning my brows.

"She was a deviant, Kara. Same as you." He moved to the other side of the room, pulling out a book that was covered in dust.

"What do you mean?" My heart was beating fast. My voice was shaky, my mother would tell me if I was a different species.

"I taught your mother everything I know. She was my star student, one of the best deviants I've ever seen. And now I will teach you." He dropped the book on a long wooden table in the middle of the room. The dust flew off as he dropped it.

I was a deviant.

**************************

PLEASE READ!!!

Hi my fellow readers thank you so much for sticking around after not uploading for a month. I recently went through some personal matters but all is fine now. I have made the decision to quit my day job and write full time. I know that my book doesn't have that many readers but I'm hoping that will change in the future. I want to be fully dedicated to writing on wattpad so I have opened a patreon where I will upload a chapter every week. I might be asking for too much but it will be amazing if you guys can support me there.

I will be uploading once every two weeks here and once every week over there. My URL is patreon.com/Shyannputman962002 it will also be in my profile. Thank you so much for reading my book, you guys have motivated me and helped me realize my passion for writing.