𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟏: 𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐍𝐨 𝐆𝐨𝐨𝐝

Start from the beginning

Damn it. 

She swallowed hard. She was not forgiving him. She just wanted to tell him to go down to the infirmary. 

"Regulus," she began, but before she could get any more words out, Professor Slughorn entered the classroom and they got on with brewing the rest of the potion. 

***

Regulus' state was already bad during their Advanced Potions lesson, but over the week, he deteriorated even further. 

Despite her constant reminders that she had no interest in him and could not care less about him, Rune couldn't help but look at him to monitor his state.

Most of the time, he had his head on the desk, often needing Rabastan to physically shake him to wake him up for the next lesson. During mealtimes, he pushed food around his plate, barely taking more than two bites. 

He didn't speak, he didn't answer in lessons, he didn't even do his homework anymore. 

Nearly two weeks passed in the manner until he finally stopped coming to lessons altogether. 

Rune itched to check up on him, to ask Rabastan what was going on with him, but she wouldn't. She couldn't. 

Since none of his friends were missing from lessons and no announcements were made, she took it as an assurance that he wasn't dead. Perhaps, he just wasn't feeling well. 

He would be back in no time. 

In the meantime, she had Tina to occupy. 

Tina, who she had snuck into her room, just so she could let her scream to the heartbreak songs booming from the recorder. 

Both Rune and Rolo sat on the bed, watching wide eyed as Tina danced around belting lyrics from Linda Ronstadt's song, You're No Good.

"You're no good. You're no good. You're no good," sang Tina, into Rune's hairbrush. "Baby, you're no good!"

Rune tried not to plug her fingers into her ears at the screeching as she wondered whether to create a sound block around herself to block out Tina's horrible singing voice. 

She wouldn't do that. She hadn't ever admitted it to Tina, but she had become her best friend. 

And friends usually let their friends scream heartbroken songs in their room no matter how bad their voice was. 

When the song finally ended, Tina did a stomach-flop onto the bed heaved. 

"Tina, why are you wearing that stupid shirt." 

There was a sound that must have been muffled laughter before she spoke into the mattress. 

"What?" asked Rune. 

Tina lifted her head and whined. "It's his stupid shirt. When we were hanging out once, I spilled orange juice down my shirt. I was so embarrassed, so he swapped shirts with me. I love this shirt." 

Rolo snarled as if even she understood how ridiculous it was. 

Rune sighed and lay down on the bed beside her. "Let's lose the shirt. We can make a little fire and burn it." 

"Will you throw in Regulus' Quidditch jersey as well?" 

Rune hesitated. 

She loved the jersey. 

But Tina was heartbroken. 

She nodded. "Yes. Yes, I will." 

Tina sat up and pulled the shirt up over her head until she was left with her tank top. "Fine. Let's burn it." 

Rune went to her wardrobe and pulled out the green and silver jersey. 

Both girls walked to the fireplace in the room and Rune said a small spell that got the fire going. 

They looked at each other and swallowed hard. 

"You go first," suggested Rune. 

"Your idea. You go first." 

"Okay." Rune moved the jersey closer to the fireplace and the flames crackled. 

She lowered it an inch but just before the fire could touch it, she whipped it back and held it to her chest. 

"No, I can't!" 

Tina lifted her own shirt to her chest and nodded as she mumbled, "I know." Then she turned around and walked back to the bed. "It's not fair." 

Rune made sure she put the jersey back into her cupboard securely before she went back to the bed and dropped down next to Tina. Rolo positioned herself between them.

"Do you have a picture? Maybe we can burn a picture." 

Tina shook her head. "I'm actually so pathetic. I will not give you a single picture of his to burn." 

Rune took Tina's hand and said, "Maybe we could get really hot makeovers. We could ask some of the hot girls to help us. Then we can get super-hot boyfriends. Ask Mason for me. And we can get someone else for you." 

"We're already super—" Tina stopped speaking and turned to Rune with a grimace. "Did you just call Mason super-hot?" 

"Did you not notice during quidditch practice yesterday? He looks super-hot." 

"Rune, please," sighed Tina. "Please sort out your questionable taste in boys. The prettier the face, the more they'll break your heart." 

"That's okay." Rune grinned. "As long as his face is pretty. I don't want my heart to be broken by an ugly boy." 

Tina finally laughed, and Rune grinned at her. 

"See, you're laughing now. Give it a little while and you'll be okay. I promise. I'll let you blear all your songs in my room until then." 

The sound of knocks on the door, had both girls sitting up. 

"Are you expecting someone?" asked Tina, already moving to the bathroom to hide. 

"Nope. Maybe I forgot to cast the noise barrier. Wait in the bathroom, I'll check." 

Once Tina closed the door to the bathroom and Rune turned the volume of the recorder all the way down, she walked to her door and swung it open. 

The last person she expected stood on the other side. 

Rune gasped at the sight of Regulus clutching his shoulder, gripping onto the door frame to keep him up. He was sweating profusely, and she could make out something black seeping through his shirt along with blood. 

"Help me," he gushed as his eyes rolled backwards. 

And then, he collapsed onto the floor in front of her.