Chapter 50

Barry's POV

"Drop your weapons. They're not going to help you," I glare at Joseph and avoid eye contact with Megan.

Joseph scoffs. "If you came to rescue Megan, she's dead. She goes by Anne now."

"You named your computer chip 'Anne?' Megan's still alive and both of you know it. I overheard you."

Anne- I mean Megan-, adjusts her grip on the gun, her index finger now resting on the trigger. "I will use this," she warns with a scowl.

I slightly shake my head, "Not with your hands shaking like that." Her hands were noticeably trembling.

"I will use this!" She shouts, but her eyes aren't focused or concentrated on me. Her jaw tightens and she squeezes her eyes shut. "Joseph," she tilts her down and to the right, "she's fighting back." Megan's eyes open and presumes glaring at me. Her hands shake more violently now.

Joseph slowly lowers his knife and cautiously turns his head toward her. "Keep her in the dark," he irritably replies.

Megan's glare goes from me to Joseph and she quickly turns and aims her gun at him.

"What the hell are you doing?" Joseph's startled by the turn of events.

"Getting my life back," she answers and pulls the trigger. I'm too startled to even move as the gunshot echoes in the room, Joseph falling back against the wall.

Then another gunshot. And another. Megan steps closer as she continues to fire her weapon, Joseph sure as hell dead after the second shot. He lies limp on the ground with his eyes open and his blood smeared on the beige wall behind him.

"Megan, he's dead. It's over," I speak and have her stop firing the gun.

She spins around on her heels and then aims her gun at me. "Just because she killed him doesn't mean I die out." For some reason, her eyes begin to water.

"Don't let her control you, Megan. You're stronger than a stupid computer."

Megan shakes her head violently and gulps. "I'm stronger than I look."

I take a step closer. "Keep fighting back. Keep fighting her, Megan."

"She's dead."

"You're lying."

Megan pulls the gun back and puts it to her head. "I'm guessing you want her alive?" Tears now stream down her face like the real Megan was crying.

"You would t do it. All you want is to live, 'Anne.'"

Megan's eyes drop down to her feet and she whimpers. Something changed. She was now having a full breakdown. "Barry."

"Don't let her control you. We're going to help," I move to take the gun away from her head.

"I'm sorry." Her sweaty hand grips the gun tighter to where her knuckles turn white.

"There's nothing to be sorry about. None of that was your fault," my voice quakes as I realize what she's about to do. "Please don't do this."

Megan backs up away from me. "You'll die if I live. You're not safe," she shakes her head as more tears fall, her bangs beginning to get moist.

"Oliver and I are going to take the chip out of you're head. Put the gun down."

"That won't solve anything."

"What're you talking about?"

"She's become more than voices. She living inside of me. If I don't end this now, she's going to co-"