"It's a mouse" Kalan commented above Ann's head.

"You're afraid of a mouse?" Ann snorted.

*neigh*

Beauty whined in protest. He was feeling embarrassed about being surprised by the unexpected appearance of the one thing he hated seeing.

A tiny mouse stood frozen in fear with a seed clutched in its hands. It trembled at the sight of the angry horse in front of it and dropped the seed before hightailing its way into the bushes.

"Look at that cute mousie!" Ann exclaimed with a smile.

*neigh*

"You're cuter" Ann smiled at the jealous horse and ruffled his soft mane.

*snort*

"Maybe we should make a gift out of rat toys for you?" Eugene smirked, causing Beauty to glare at him.

"Hey! Don't poke fun at him. That's my job"

Ann defended Beauty in her own way only to make him stomp his feet in annoyance. He didn't like anyone making fun of him when his crush Carrie was beside him.

*neigh*

Beauty jumped in the air again to hide his embarrassment.

"Beauty! Calm down!" Ann exclaimed, pulling him down. 

Though she was unaware of the reason behind his sudden tantrum. The person beside her was not.

"Your horse is energetic" Kalan stated, letting go of Ann's waist.

"Of course he. Did you know Beauty is the most handsome horse in the world? He is-..."

"Speaking of which..." Eugene interrupted her,

"What do you want for your birthday? It's today right? We are inside a forest so the options are limited though..."

It was only after he said that he noticed Ann glare at him with an annoyed expression.

"What?" He shrugged, unable to comprehend her glare.

As soon as those words came out of Eugene's mouth, Kalan asked,

"Today is your birthday?"

'Noah, you had one job!'

Ann facepalmed. All he had to do was to inform the others to not say anything till they got out of the forest.

"Haha... yes"

She awkwardly laughed as she turned around and requested,

"Please don't tell anyone"

Time and time again Ann regretted getting drunk in front of the Nero mercenaries when they first met. The twins were undeniably persuasive in convincing a drunk person to do what they wanted. 

"Kalan?" Ann called out.

He had become unresponsive after hearing Eugene run his mouth. He seemed to be contemplating something with a serious expression.

"Today is your birthday? How can that be?" Kalan frowned and mumbled under his breath.

Noticing Ann's suspicious eyes he snapped back from his trance and said,

"I wish you a happy birthday"

"Thank you. But seriously, don't tell anyone"

All of a sudden, the carriages at the front come to a halt.

"What now?"

Ann and Kalan got down from their horses curious about why they had stopped.

Did they reach the destination for the day? But as far as their eyes could reach there was no river or any forms of water body within sight.